amuck-landowner

Let's Encrypt Launch Schedule Announced

telephone

Let said:
Let’s Encrypt has reached a point where we’re ready to announce our launch schedule.

• First certificate: Week of July 27, 2015
  • General availability: Week of September 14, 2015
We will issue the first end entity certificates under our root under tightly controlled circumstances. No cross-signature will be in place yet, so the certificates will not validate unless our root is installed in client software. As we approach general availability we will issue more and more certificates, but only for a pre-approved set of domains. This limited issuance period will give us time to further ensure that our systems are secure, compliant, and scalable.

When it’s time for general availability, we will open up our systems to certificate requests for any domain. A cross-signature from IdenTrust will be in place for general availability, so that our certificates will validate automatically for the vast majority of consumers.

Engineering and policy development for Let’s Encrypt began in earnest in mid-October of 2014. If we stay true to the schedule outlined above we will have built an innovative CA, capable of operating at Internet scale and without cutting corners, in just eleven months. That’s quite a feat, given all that’s involved, and a testament to the skill and dedication of our staff, partners, sponsors, and contributors.

Source: https://letsencrypt.org//2015/06/16/lets-encrypt-launch-schedule.html
Mark the day in your calender, September 14!

telephone

nice.. unfortunately no CentOS or SSL Wildcard support so not for me :)
The code is written in Go and Python, so I expect it will land in all distros by the general availability launch. Really, you're going to complain about wildcard support when it's FREE certs? I bet there will be a bulk generator soon after it's release for those who are too lazy  :p.

eva2000

My domains some have 40+ subdomains behind https, so single SSL wildcard covers 41+ sites. At US$39/yr for SSL Wildcard = 39/41 = US$0.95 per site. Well worth it compared to time it would take to generate 41 non-wildcard SSLs even if there is a generator heh. Also I already have a SSL generator for my Centmin Mod LEMP stack for setup part which sets up both nginx vhost + ssl (self signed for now)

joepie91

Really, you're going to complain about wildcard support when it's FREE certs?
For something that should never have cost any money to begin with (basic SSL certs), it's not unreasonable to complain about (seemingly artificial) limitations in a free certificate.

telephone

The launch has been delayed:

Quote said:
We can’t wait to see websites turn on TLS with Let’s Encrypt. Trust is our most important asset, however, and we need to take the necessary time to make sure our systems are secure and stable.

We’ve decided to push our launch schedule back a bit to give us time to further improve our systems. Our new schedule is:

• First certificate: Week of September 7, 2015
  • General availability: Week of November 16, 2015
In the ten weeks between these two dates we’ll gradually issue more and more certificates. We’ll start by issuing a small number of certs to whitelisted domains and expand our issuance as we gain confidence in our systems (stay tuned for instructions on getting your domains added to our early-access whitelist). When it’s time for general availability we will open up our systems to all requests.

A cross-signature will be in place before general availability. This will allow certificates from Let’s Encrypt to validate automatically for the vast majority of consumers. Prior to cross-signing, browsers will not accept our certificates as valid unless a user has installed our root as trusted.

I want to thank our staff, partners, sponsors, and contributors. We’re making great progress, despite this delay, and it’s all possible due to their hard work.

Source: https://letsencrypt.org/2015/08/07/updated-lets-encrypt-launch-schedule.html

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner