amuck-landowner

Level3 Public DNS Servers - Search Engine Redirect

nunim

VPS Junkie
Does anyone use Level3's public DNS?

I've been using them forever because they were always better then ISP default servers.  I know a lot of people are using Google's DNS now but I've found Level3 had a better latency in most cases, and since I've been using them for years, I stuck with it.

However, tonight something odd happened that I never noticed before... Failed dns lookups, i.e. invalid domain or domain doesn't exist.. Now redirects me to searchguide.level3.com instead of simply failing.  Has anyone else noticed this??!?  I do a lot of website testing during the day and I've never seen this redirect before so it has to have been a fairly recent change.

I guess I may have to start using Google's DNS, since they have all my information anyhow... Google DNS doesn't do redirect on failure do they?  I want failure messages on failure!  Is that too much to ask?

johnlth93

Yup i have been using Level3 DNS from Malaysia for a long time.

Though i use 209.244.0.3 (resolver1) and everything seem fine, nothing as you described.

Yes, google dns doesn't redirect to a failed query AFAIK. Only one i used (that have such redirection) is OpenDNS.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Strange.   I haven't installed any Toolsbars or anything silly like that, in fact I just did a full system scan using two different anti-viruses.  

Screenshot%202013-11-09%2003.26.53.png

This is what I'm seeing on failed lookups, and I certainly never saw this before.  I couldn't really find any info about it on Google so I'm at a bit of a loss.  I really don't want to switch to Google's DNS :(

johnlth93

Strange.   I haven't installed any Toolsbars or anything silly like that, in fact I just did a full system scan using two different anti-viruses.  

Screenshot%202013-11-09%2003.26.53.png

This is what I'm seeing on failed lookups, and I certainly never saw this before.  I couldn't really find any info about it on Google so I'm at a bit of a loss.  I really don't want to switch to Google's DNS :(
Goddammit mine just changed as well  :angry:

Capture.png

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well that was inevitable.

My browser likes to be helpful and pass fubard stuff to search engine for helping.  So I see that instead of DNS redirect.

Solution to these DNS redirects is a bit foggy.   Have to stuff DNSMASQ or other DNS piece in middle and intercept their bogus IP result to point at their own stuff.

Time for a public resolver alternative list I'd say with notes about each resolver, benefits, features, bewares, etc.

Nyr

I keep getting "Non-existent domain" responses from Level 3 DNS when needed, does this keep happening to you? Maybe they are just testing for now?

Anyway, I maintain a little list of anycast, no-bullshit DNS servers here:

http://wiki.nyr.be/dns_publicos

Both HE and NTT ones would be a good alternative.

amuck-landowner