amuck-landowner

Limited Public IPv6 Beta Release DigitalOcean

Jack

8FLRO.png

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Nice!

It constantly surprises me nowadays, that although I don't use IPv6, I think all but one of my service providers are already supporting it.

fizzyjoe908

Verified Provider
There's no reason for small to medium service providers not to support it. The additional costs are negligible.

In my opinion, DO should have supported v6 from the start. It's not like they started back in the 90s - they had all the tools they needed to support v6 from the beginning.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I'm not a grandfathered user so no IPv6 beta for me...not that I really give a **** because I was planning on switching to Simplercloud when the last of my DO credit runs out later this month. :)

nunim

VPS Junkie
When this hits wide release I may actually start to use some of my DO credit. It'll make a very cost effective node in SG, the lack of v6 has been what's holding me back.

Taronyu

I'm not a grandfathered user so no IPv6 beta for me...not that I really give a **** because I was planning on switching to Simplercloud when the last of my DO credit runs out later this month. :)
I am grandfathered... but no email.

Jack

Did he lose his shit over it?

I know he was fairly annoyed back in the day with the whole 'random IPV6 addresses' setup that most providers do/did.

Francisco

Pretty much.. mpkossen has a valid point with doing /128's vs /64's though... In regards to google filter per /64 so if you stick say 100+ clients per /64 one of them is naughty and spams... all the other clients suffering from it.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Pretty much.. mpkossen has a valid point with doing /128's vs /64's though... In regards to google filter per /64 so if you stick say 100+ clients per /64 one of them is naughty and spams... all the other clients suffering from it.
Oh I agree. IRC networks ban by /64's and such now. I know the /64 we feed our '16 per plan' out of is banned half the time from Freenode due to either excessive connections or someone being a douche.

Blacklists will likely do /64's or, what I still think will happen, some of the major mail providers won't enable V6 to limit how much spam gets sent.

Francisco

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Yay! Grandfathered user here. Got my SGP box up to look around.

So are they allocating /64's to a user? a droplet? Or is it /128's?

Francisco
Yup, /128s. I was actually kind of thrown off at first because, well, here's what it looks like in the panel:

acNX8oq.png

...So naturally I tried an ip -6 addr add, but no dice :( I guess they hand out /128s out of a /64 block. I've submitted a suggestion to "do it right" on DigitalOcean's uservoice page. Here it is, if you care to vote for it.

amuck-landowner