amuck-landowner

Little project I'm starting

SrsX

Banned
Well, I needed a panel, a very small one. There was no real lightweight panels with the features I wanted/needed.

I decided to start throwing this together, it's a little hosting control panel.

Current features:

1) SSH Terminal Connection (if you consider this a feature)

2) MySQL Management

3) FTP Connection & Management

4) Web-based file manager

5) Domain management / sub-domain management

I don't currently have any big plans for a fancy web management interface, it's just going to be a little basic one. The system is designed, so each user will have their own account, their files will be stored in a directory in their home folder. I don't have any plans on releasing this right now, I might open-source it in the future, but for now it's a little project I'm doing in my spare time.

If you'd like to know more, feel free to ask. I'll try to reply to the best of my abilities.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Sounds interesting.  Need panel for managing portfolio of servers internal and external.

SSH terminal via what?  Browser?

Other stuff is standardish.   

Get to coding!

SrsX

Banned
Sounds interesting.  Need panel for managing portfolio of servers internal and external.

SSH terminal via what?  Browser?

Other stuff is standardish.   

Get to coding!
Well, it will be SSH terminal just normal. I'm unsure if I will be adding Browser-ssh terminal, personally I don't think it will be needed, but sure I could probably add it in the future.

peterw

Email set up is a must have for any "panel". I would throw that in too!
DNS and email are the most annoying things done in the console. This is my main reason to use panels.

Well, I needed a panel, a very small one. There was no real lightweight panels with the features I wanted/needed.

I decided to start throwing this together, it's a little hosting control panel.
Any screenshots or schedule?

SrsX

Banned
DNS and email are the most annoying things done in the console. This is my main reason to use panels.

Any screenshots or schedule?
I haven't started working on the web interface yet, so there is nothing to screenshot.

SrsX

Banned
@peterw:

I've worked up a little schedule for this, due to peoples interest.

First of all I'm working on the backend (creation of sites, etc. - which I've almost completed).

Secondly, I'll be working on the web interface. The Web UI will be based on Bootstrap for the design framework, as for a backend framework, I was just going to it manually, no fancy big-name framework which takes a lot of space.

Lastly, once all this is done, I'll be inviting people to test it out on their own servers (write an installer).

As for supported operating systems --

Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS

If anyone is interested in testing it once I get a stable working version, feel free to inquire.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Here's a thought - why not write a console based 'panel', more like an interactive menu instead of something web based.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
A bash based menu system. No need for fancy guis or security risks.

SrsX

Banned
A bash based menu system. No need for fancy guis or security risks.
I suppose I could make that a feature, but if you can work on the console, then what's the need for a panel(in this case a bash-based menu system) in the first place?

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
No, not a feature. I meant do that instead of a web gui. That way you get more exposure to the console, it's easier to code, less security concerns and lets face it, better all round.

SrsX

Banned
Yes, I understand Martin, however I don't feel it'd really be needed honestly. However, I'll code it anyways.

adly

Here's a thought - why not write a console based 'panel', more like an interactive menu instead of something web based.
This is something I worked on a while ago (a text-based UI ran from the CLI), but is there really an interest in such a 'panel'? I basically wrote it for myself to manage email and adding virtual hosts to nginx on a low end server, but no longer use it.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I wrote one 15 years ago for provisioning shell accounts. It was also included in shell accounts for setting up email accounts, ircds, services, vhosts, websites etc etc.

I think theres more value in that than a web based gui particularly for this as it's not meant for end users or clients - it's an 'admin' panel...and all admins should have access anyway, right?

amuck-landowner