amuck-landowner

Looking for some feedback on our new control panel.

telephone

@KuJoe

I'm unsure what limitations WHMCS imposes, but since it's Boostrap based, would you like to use one of my past control panel designs?

IjfuDyS.png

^ Was made for Bootstrap 2, but would only take about 20 minutes to switch to Bootstrap 3, and the layout itself could be condensed another 50px or so.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@KuJoe

I'm unsure what limitations WHMCS imposes, but since it's Boostrap based, would you like to use one of my past control panel designs?

IjfuDyS.png

^ Was made for Bootstrap 2, but would only take about 20 minutes to switch to Bootstrap 3, and the layout itself could be condensed another 50px or so.
That's pretty decent :) I don't think WHMCS uses bootstrap 3. They use some bastardized version of 2.

Francisco

KuJoe

Verified Provider
My thoughts:

- Passwords should be revealed  by explicit, voluntary action from the user only. A visible by default password field is not safe. On most applications, there is a "reveal password" button or checkbox next to the password field. I would stick to this widely accepted industry standard.

- The icon bitmaps are out of fashion. I am not a designer and my personal taste is probably bad, because your current design is good enough for me. But latest trend is clearly toward simple, flat icons without 3d effects or shadows, and essential typography (I would not use italic on the "your vps is on node..."). See the IOS7 or Windows 8 look as reference. 

- The page should be usable on mobile devices. Try to open it on some typical smartphone/tablet screen resolutions.
That's the direction I was going to go (clicking a button to reveal the password). Should be easy enough to do.

I'll look into using different icons, I wanted something smaller to begin with so now is the time to do it. :)

I used the control panel from my phone and it's not bad, it's the same thing just smaller (maybe the larger icons are better for smaller screens and bigger fingers). I'll look into this some more.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Sorry, I don't want to be harsh, but it looks ugly for me.  :huh:
No need to be sorry. This is why I opened the thread. :)

Hire an UX engineer next.
Unfortunately that's not in the cards. I'll look into some pre-made control panel themes though and see what I can do.

@KuJoe

IjfuDyS.png

It loos identical to SolusVM, I was hoping to get away from the SolusVM feel but it does give me some good ideas.

jebat_ks

Graph is not necessary for control panel, but that's just my personal preferences.

Maybe you can make the graph as 'click to view' a la spoiler to reduce the length of the page. Require very minimal javascript  ;)

abcdefg

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Bah! The tabs don't work on my phone now, guess I'll have to look into a mobile alternative. :( At least the buttons work.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
I like it, as long as it's functional, but for some reason it makes me think it's still 2006, even though there's a hint of bootstrap. But functionality over design any day, if it works and works well who gives a toss if it looks good.

Also, just a simple Google search can get you a lot of design ideas, I personally hate the design side of things, mainly because I'm rubbish at it but looking at some Themeforest junk and some of those CSS example code websites does help.

NodePacket

Verified Provider
I like it. Now does the Generate SSH console create a console via browser right there? Is it Java Based?

NodePacket

Verified Provider
@NodePacket No, I hate the Java-based consoles so I went with the SSH console instead.
Awesome. I do see it is bootstrap, but maybe adding @FontFace CSS3 fonts or some CSS3 styles, it would be awesome! I'll test it out if you need some help.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Looks good keep the design simply add the historical data choices for hour, day, month and year. Is the console resizable?
The graphs will only be for 24 hours, I might add more later but if a client needs more than 24 hours of data they can easily keep their own graphs.

The console is an SSH session that can be connected to with any SSH program. The console is designed to be used for emergencies only and the session expires the next day (not 24 hours, next actual day so if the session is generated on the 26th it will expire on the 27th regardless when it was generated). For now I'm just using SolusVM's SSH wrapper for the console but I hope to have my own developed eventually.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Awesome. I do see it is bootstrap, but maybe adding @FontFace CSS3 fonts or some CSS3 styles, it would be awesome! I'll test it out if you need some help.
I have no clue what that is so I'll have to look into it.

SrsX

Banned
@KuJoe

IjfuDyS.png

That looks nice, if you ever want to sell that design there let me know as I'll purchase it off of you.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
That looks nice, if you ever want to sell that design there let me know as I'll purchase it off of you.
That design is identical to SolusVM's, word for word. You can grab the SolusVM CSS and template files for free I believe.

solusvm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner