amuck-landowner

Looking for Xen based Linux VPS

qps

Verified Provider
Your budget is completely unrealistic, even if you take out the cost of the cPanel license.

If you can increase your budget, it might be worth considering a low end dedicated server given the requirements.  Maybe a Dual Xeon L5420 or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

john

Verified Provider
It takes a bit of work to configure, no? Do you think that the average host would go through all that trouble and the risks? Name me one host that oversells Disk Space on KVM and Xen, just one.

Xen and KVM are not meant to be oversold.
Takes work = not available in SolusVM? A lot of hosts depend on SolusVM so no. DigitalOcean.

The purpose of virtualization is over provisioning.

To OP: Since you need a lot of dedicated processing power for a low cost, take a look at QuickPacket's dedicated server deals.

Dylan

Would these low cost dedicated servers @35$ & 49$ be performance equivalent of 1 core of vps cpu?

AMD Sempron 3000+

1 x 160 GB PATA

1 GB DDR

Unmetered 100Mbps*

1 x 1.2 GHz

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

2 x 300GB SATA

7200 RPM

2 GB DDR

Unmetered 100Mbps*
If you're looking for a super low-end dedicated server there are much better deals here, FYI, from a provider people around here tend to like:

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

If you're looking for something a bit less low-end, check out QPS.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I find it somewhat disingenuous when providers say this. KVM and Xen can both absolutely be oversold.
Indeed.  However, it is less trivial to overcommit resources on Xen than it is on KVM or OpenVZ.

Xen allows you to overcommit CPU Cores, Bandwidth, etc.  It can also allow you to overcommit memory, and with the LVM overcommit patches, disk as well.  However, both of these require increasingly complex levels of configuration.

KVM allows you to overcommit CPU Cores, Bandwidth, Memory and depending on storage configuration, disk space (sparse files).  The LVM overcommit patches allow you to oversell the disk here too, without using files.

OpenVZ allows you to overcommit CPU Cores, Bandwidth, Memory, disk storage, FS inodes, etcetera.  Essentially everything can be overcommitted.

sanjay_arora

That's true...cPanel's extra....they haven't quoted for that....but still its impressive & after this thread I'm wondering ...what's the catch?

cPanel is available for 14.95$ independent from hosting provider....some quote as low as 10$, some as high as 30$....in which case one can buy 14.95 independent.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
That's true...cPanel's extra....they haven't quoted for that....but still its impressive & after this thread I'm wondering ...what's the catch?

cPanel is available for 14.95$ independent from hosting provider....some quote as low as 10$, some as high as 30$....in which case one can buy 14.95 independent.
Well, there is this on their fine print:

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic (if average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 40 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 5 days the connection is switched to 10 Mbit/s).
Also, looking at the routes I have to 91.194.91.215 (AS51167) it seems that they use Telia and Level3 for transit with a preference to Telia, at least from the routing table view we have at London.

This may affect connectivity to the US negatively verses routing to the US via Level3.

sanjay_arora

Well, finally purchased from 5gbps.com for 26$/m + 2$ for extra IP and cPanel from 3rd party, as theirs was few dollars expensive. They are totally unmanaged. Specs are as follows:

• 8 x Intel Xeon CPU
  • 1Gbps Unmetered (10Gbps node)
  • 250GB Dedicated HDD
  • 3GB Dedicated RAM
  • Linux or Windows OS
  • Datacenter: FDCServers
  • XEN Virtualization
  • 99.9% Uptime SLA
  • SolusVM Control Panel
No restrictions on anything legal...even torrents allowed. No fair use on bandwidth!!!

I wonder how to measure the processing power of a vps.....oversold or not...everything has a size tag...ram is x gb, hdd is x gb.....how do I calculate the labelled processor spec or test the processing power to compare it to any dedicated cpu.....50% of Intel i3..x Mhz ? Any way to estimate this...even post purchase ?

Regards & thanks to all who contributed to my thread.

Sanjay.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Thank you for getting back and lettig us know about your decision.

Let us know how it works for you!

sanjay_arora

Well, finally purchased from 5gbps.com for 26$/m + 2$ for extra IP and cPanel from 3rd party, as theirs was few dollars expensive. They are totally unmanaged. Specs are as follows:

• 8 x Intel Xeon CPU
  • 1Gbps Unmetered (10Gbps node)
  • 250GB Dedicated HDD
  • 3GB Dedicated RAM
  • Linux or Windows OS
  • Datacenter: FDCServers
  • XEN Virtualization
  • 99.9% Uptime SLA
  • SolusVM Control Panel
No restrictions on anything legal...even torrents allowed. No fair use on bandwidth!!!

I wonder how to measure the processing power of a vps.....oversold or not...everything has a size tag...ram is x gb, hdd is x gb.....how do I calculate the labelled processor spec or test the processing power to compare it to any dedicated cpu.....50% of Intel i3..x Mhz ? Any way to estimate this...even post purchase ?

Regards & thanks to all who contributed to my thread.

Sanjay.

Hi all

Was on the above package for two years. Service was good, as far as unmanaged goes, so don't have any complaints. Was happy with them.

However, the provider has introduced a FUP and reduced cores and increased prices.....so am in the market for a new provider. Rather than create a new thread, I decided to use the old one here.

So request options. Would be buying one vps for regular testing with above specs immediately, second for production with 4-5 gb ram and if possible couple more processor cores, in two months and third for replication & backup (with above specs) in a different data center one month after that. Would like one provider and single billing and prices cheap/reasonable/competitive to above, for small one man firm, in location where US Dollar is multiplied by 65.

My major issue is unmetered bandwidth. In an earlier provider I was billed huge amount due to some virus problem n automated billing and me not paying due attention, no fault of provider, of course. But since then, I always take unmetered options, with/without reduced bandwidth post fup. With the above provider, I barely used 10% of the fup, he introduced later. But this is an issue with me. I like the comfort of an unmetered bandwidth, though I won't probably be a heavy user.

Looked at option of using cloud providers like Amazon etc., but all seem to be much more expensive than vps options, though I would gain in dynamic vps launch. Of course, unlimited bandwidth is not possible with/without fup with them. But would like to know if there are any low cost options in that segment though. But just curiosity here, don't really expect to get anything. Checked only Amazon & Rackspace thoroughly.

Best regards & thanks.

Sanjay.

amuck-landowner