amuck-landowner

Louisville, Kentucky VPS?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Anyone offering services out of here? I'm a stone throw away from Louisville, would be cool to have a VPS there.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
They have internet in Kentucky? :lol:
I think so. I can see Kentucky when I look out any of my southern facing windows. I live on the Ohio river... I see they have electricity over there. :)

Maybe they're just stealing wifi from us Hoosiers north of the river :)

qps

Verified Provider
I doubt there's much (or any) peering in Louisville, so unless the provider you go with has direct connectivity to your ISP, the traffic will likely be backhauled elsewhere before coming back to you.  It may make more sense to go with a provider located in which ever major city your ISP backhauls traffic to (probably Chicago or Northern Virginia/Washington DC if I had to guess).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Nice to see interest in somewhere different and less volatile.   Somewhat removed or isolated from the zombie herds.

http://www.peak10.com/locations/louisville

I'd contact them and see if they can recommend anyone downstream as well as getting colo rates on 1-2U for trialing network if not too exotic in price.  All depends though on how routing and peering is to your local dominant telco providers.  If it goes to CHI or Dallas to get to you then blah (usually).

SC-Daniel

Verified Provider
What a coincidence... I was looking for colo providers in Louisville earlier today for a personal project. There are a few providers there, some easier to talk to than others.

The common BW providers are Level3, TWTC, TWC, and Cogent.

All but one of the facilities I spoke with today wanted in the neighborhood of $50/Mbps. Totally not feasible for a hosting provider.

I spoke with BluegrassNET, IgLou, Davey/VilleColo, and Peak10.

Anyways, I thought the market here in Jacksonville was rough, Louisville is even more difficult.

dano

Company that I worked with used Peak10 data center and didn't have any big issues. Most of the issues we had were coming from Insight Comm(pretty sure, cant remember another name), where a distro center was connected to their network. We frequently had latency or complete loss through that line, but the peak10 connection to another data center on the west coast, was actually pretty stable. I don't remember the price on it though.

amuck-landowner