amuck-landowner

Lowend Colo

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Cause $20~ or wherever he parked the pricing at is unsustainable.    It would be sustainable if he owned his own facility and own staff, but being a middleman, the profit margin is so slim that any support tickets washes that profit away.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
tl,dr the majority of low monthly cost poor reputation providers like Burstcrap, VolumeDebts, GreenNovalueHost, etc will end up costing you far more in the end than if you had used a more reputable provider who charges a higher monthly rate (note: this doesn't apply if you're a 12 year old who is coloing/renting a minecraft server that you and your friends will use during recess because mommy and daddy are paying your bills and you don't need to worry about things like loss of productivity, lost sales, etc yet)
Well, actually minecraft servers can be a business in a way, one of my clients makes $400k/year off of in-server micro transactions. So I don't really think that the lowend providers are even good for hosting something like Minecraft, because you could still potentially lose sales or whatever.

I think the larger concern is, what happens to your colo when say, VolumeDrive eventually collapses?  With the litigation, I would be very concerned about being able to successfully recover my equipment.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Anyone have suggestions for Hosting Company In A Box?

I want to just

1. buy a domain name
  2. unzip the HCIAB installer
  3. run the installer
  4. rake in cash
Actually, if there's a provider that handles #2 and #3, I'd prefer that even if there's a setup fee.

And if I can just get a free subdomain for #1 that would be better.

So really, I just need a provider for #4.

FLDataTeK

Verified Provider
Every time I here someone say VolumeDrive I think VD as in venereal disease .  LOL

Thier business model went viral...  Then died..

Must stay away... Might catch something.. :)

Ok I'll stop now... My bad humor is showing...

hostinghouston

Verified Provider
You really need to be careful with "low end" solutions. More often than not, they turn out to be a flop. But, there are exceptions to the rules. Oplink.net is a great example to the exception, great service, support and I have personally met them when I Colo'd our servers there. Dacentec is another good exception, but you will find yourself paying more for addons like bandwidth and extra power.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Every time I here someone say VolumeDrive I think VD as in venereal disease .  LOL
That's been my line and schtick for years....

But, there are exceptions to the rules. Oplink.net is a great example to the exception, great service, support and I have personally met them when I Colo'd our servers there. 
Oplink :) That's the Houston DC I was pointing at :) Glad to see endorsement.  Any idea of what their current upstreams are?  Pricing at last glance on specials was LOW.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If you colo in Texas, keep in mind that you'll get a yearly tax bill for hosting your equipment inside a Texas datacenter even if you're company is based outside of Texas. The taxes are based on the value that they think your equipment is worth which is non-negotiable according to some of the horror stories I've read on WHT from people getting hit with these invoices without warning from their data centers after 10+ months of service. Some of the companies tried to submit receipts for the equipment showing the actual value without any luck so expect a yearly "cheap hosting fee" in the mail.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If you colo in Texas, keep in mind that you'll get a yearly tax bill for hosting your equipment inside a Texas datacenter even if you're company is based outside of Texas. The taxes are based on the value that they think your equipment is worth which is non-negotiable according to some of the horror stories I've read on WHT from people getting hit with these invoices without warning from their data centers after 10+ months of service. Some of the companies tried to submit receipts for the equipment showing the actual value without any luck so expect a yearly "cheap hosting fee" in the mail.
I raise my hand on this.

Dallas --- county there has this BS tax.  Unsure if other counties have followed suit.  I know facility in Plano I dealt with didn't have this.

As for Dallas, they can die in a fire.  I tried interacting with the assh0les at the assessment office for a client.   The tax exceeded the value of the server.  No basis for it, arbitrary.  Give us a few hundred a year for an old 1U.

Oh yeah, plus the county appears to share your info with marketing losers as end person ended up getting spammed with sales, donation requests and all sorts of other stuff.

So to date, Dallas hasn't been paid and day they are, well won't be any time soon.

FLDataTeK

Verified Provider

I had them try this when I was in Texas also, but I went on the online dispute and uploaded reciepts for the server and explained that it was an older server and was no where close to being worth the $16,000 they were estimating its value as.

Needless to say they change the value to the actual price I paid for it and my yearly tax bill was $0..  :)

jcarney1987

Corepace in Dalls seems like its got some good deals going on.  They charege $1 for ipv4 though, but they've done alot of work to the facility.  Bandwidth isn't as cheap as I would like, but like others said, you get what you pay for.  So I'm going to try them out and check out their quality for a few months.

amuck-landowner