amuck-landowner

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Moderators come along and want to influence many of the things that so many of you say is wrong with LET but have been prevented/discouraged from doing so
CC have never in my view forced the way in which LET is moderated or run,  decisions made ultimately lie with the admins
@~Lee~, if you don't mind sharing, can you let us know why you're no longer a moderator? Did you step down or were you removed? I'd imagine you stepped down based on what you mentioned, but I'm curious. It's really none of my business so feel free to tell me that instead. :)

Also, if CC isn't really encouraging how the site is moderated or controlled why were some brands in particular apparently given special treatment? What interest would mpkossen or Spirit have in ignoring large scale community requests if not influenced by CC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I stepped down as moderator, couple of reasons but yes in the main based on my previous comments of difficulty in changing things.

Give me an example of what you mean be special treatment on LET and when.  I can only tell you what I know based on whether I was involved or based on what I know.

joepie91

Everyone is quick to judge on the face value of what they see, this thread being a prime example of that.

And there's a very good reason for that. If ColoCrossing isn't going to be transparent about their business, then people are going to fill in the blanks. The very simple solution is to stop being shady fucks. You can only control the narrative if it's a honest narrative.

Moderators come along and want to influence many of the things that so many of you say is wrong with LET but have been prevented/discouraged from doing so because change is viewed as an ugly, unworkable notion.

And from what little has come out of the staff team over at LET in the past, that discouragement and prevention largely originated from ColoCrossing and, before that, Chief. Not enough access to services, etc.

I have said it before and I will say it again, CC have never in my view forced the way in which LET is moderated or run,  decisions made ultimately lie with the admins and moderators where they are right or wrong.

And the main administrator receives a paycheck from CC. That is a giant conflict of interest, and will make him try to avoid conflicts with CC to ensure an income, whether he realizes it or not. CC absolutely does control LET, and have done so since they quietly and secretly acquired it.

As I always say at the end of threads like this over here, the old LET has gone, stop hanging on to the idea of a site where the principles/foundations it was built on are long gone, the time to reminisce has long since past, nobody writes about what you can do with a tiny VPS any more

Then stop trying to present it as a "community", because it isn't one. It's a billboard.

Both sites were gong to end up being sold by chief for the best money he could get, so this was all going to happen whether people wanted it or not.
Ah yes, the good old "it was inevitable anyway" argument, which has never done anything for the better. Because clearly, as a community you should just pack up your shit and disband, if somebody throws water in your sandbox. No point letting the sand dry and kicking out the rogue kid.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
It's a constant battle against those who want change and those who don't.  Again it's in fact the smallest group of naysayers that manipulate and cause issues.  @HN-Matt being a prime example above with his half stories.  His nonsense get's no acceptance over there and the truth will not endear him to you people over here or be much of a story, so let's not be too honest eh!  At least he has made the right decision never to return to LET.
lmao

I don't expect my writing to be preemptively 'accepted' anywhere. The problem is the pitiful, regressive resort to censorship and deletion in place of conversation and dialogue, not the 'acceptance' (or lackthereof) of content.

How would you know of the extent to which my presence is 'accepted' on LET anyway? Do you now speak for the entire forum? (The horizon of your gross circlejerk is meaningless). Your further attempt to single me out here only adds more weight to what I've been saying, at least.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
LET is always going to be the entry point for many into the market, I doubt that will change

Reminded me of a comment Profforg made last June:

I hope LET will be here around and not die. Even when it's owned by colocrossing, free speech is here and i did not see that in other forums. Sad for me that LET auditory seems decreased in last two months by 4x factor (2M monthly -> 500K monthly) and no idea where does they go :)
http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/55260/webhostingtalk-worst-of-the-hosting-industry/p1#Comment_1117206

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
@joepie91

I don't disagree with the essence of what your saying however and this is from my own perspective, it's the lack of consistent decision making and absence of a clear plan/vision for where LET is/wants to go that causes many of the issues.  That starts and ends with Maarten but due to the history it does come across as CC intervention but it's not.  I appreciate though that you and others will never accept that CC is not as closely involved in the day to to day that you think.

There were a few occasions when I was moderator that I was very wary and unhappy of decisions being made that would come off as being very CC sided however that was not the case and I would never have went along with anything that was about favouring any individual or brand.  If that happened I would have spat my own dummy out.  I of course knew the drama class would pounce on certain decisions and why they were doing it.

I suspect where Manndude was going with his last comment is very much related to poor decision and indecisiveness as I mentioned above where it appeared decisions were more in favour of CC but they were not.  A real issue with staff and the way decisions were made.  Not because of CC influence.  Although CC aside there are many situations of late and in the past that were just simply handled badly and therefore gave people such as yourself the ammunition to call foul and relate it to CC.  Maarten does tend to fold a little and take the path of least resistance when people oppose his ideas, it does not make him a bad person, none of us are perfect but he is nonetheless in a difficult position of balancing the ownership of the site by CC against a relatively small but active group of those opposed to that ownership for whatever reason.

I am talking about LET here, I have no doubt and I called it myself more than once that LEB is very CC centric, although the mix of late appears to have been much better from what I have seen.  But before you call me out on that I have not picked through the offers lately that if on closer inspection that is not the case.

I do also agree that LET has become more of a billboard of sorts.  However that started some time ago, CC does not have such a far reaching control of individuals and/or brands that their influence alone caused that.

There is no satisfying everyone and personally I don't think progress will be made unless Maarten creates a clear plan of where LET needs/wants to go (with member involvement) and then has a staff to drive that forward and stick to that however unpopular that may be with some.  Once that happens it will stop people believing that CC is as involved as they currently believe as actions will be decisive and consistent whoever the brand or person is.

So I will leave that with you, @Manndude if you have specifics from your earlier post I can answer drop me a PM on LET, Hopefully you know me well enough that you won't get any BS responses.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
It's a constant battle against those who want change and those who don't.  Again it's in fact the smallest group of naysayers that manipulate and cause issues.  @HN-Matt being a prime example above with his half stories.  His nonsense get's no acceptance over there and the truth will not endear him to you people over here or be much of a story, so let's not be too honest eh!  At least he has made the right decision never to return to LET.

By the way, anyone happen to know why this creeper has taken a liking to me? I have no idea what his interest is in acting as if he's in possession of 'the truth' and that its revelation would 'not be endearing' (or even who he is for that matter), but the comment comes off as mildly threatening and stalkerish to say the least. I told him to never look at me yesterday, apparently the guy is having trouble decoupling his gaze...

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Dear @~Lee~  ,

You are cordially invited to fill us all in with more vague emotional blackmail concerning any vpsBoard member of your choosing! Further focusing on 'HN-Matt' in your response will not be accepted and will cause your e-stalker XP to decline by 69%. In order to qualify, you must shift the position of your computer chair so that your heavy breathing is directed at a different forums persona for each successive observation. Failure to comply will result in immediate disqualification.

Best,

AuroraZero

I get that is the point people are trying make @Lee, is the that LET/B were both designed to be about LOW END BOXES. Now they are about how much we can get for as little money as we can spend. The focus has moved and essentially destroyed what the point of the whole endeavor was about to begin with in the place. I remember talking to LEA a time or two about Joel and how he was a frelling moron and what he bringing to the community back before this happened. Unfortunately that was back when I was not so well and I was still having some of my "episodes" or I may have been able to do something about this whole mess. LEA seemed to be listening and understanding or maybe I am just fooling myself.

What you, and others, claim to be progress is essentially nothing more then a way for a company to get more sales and advertise. You may not see the influence but in the end the whole place is now designed to be for adverts. That is why there is now BSA on the LET.  Notice which companies are in those ads yet?

As for Spirit leaving only he knows his motivations for doing it. We can speculate for weeks or months, and get no where. It could be that Maartan wanted him out, or it could be he got tired of beating his head against the wall when trying to change things who knows really. Truth be told in the end it matters little really the site will go on without him. Just like if I died tomorrow this place and that place would still go on. Sure he was liked by some, sure he had his faults and disliked by others, but in the end he was still just one person.

Always remember LET/B are not community driven sites anymore they are part of a companies assets like WHT now and you will be fine.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
So much effort into damage control and sycophantic historicizing from someone who isn't even a moderator anymore.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
No chip, just a casual observation re: the pacing of the gross heavy breath on my nape (as much as it would clearly like to damage the shoulder, it is infinitely incapable of making a chip there, frankly, but thanks for parroting Nekki).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Long live the censorship.... and the ban evasions :)

I was admittedly a little perplexed to see this in my inbox awhile back. 

173 Aug 12 15:53 LowEndTalk ( 0) [LowEndTalk] You've been unbanned.Never tested to see if I could actually log in or not, but it's good to keep in my inbox and have a glance at when I need a chuckle.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Long live the censorship.... and the ban evasions :)

I was admittedly a little perplexed to see this in my inbox awhile back. 

173 Aug 12 15:53 LowEndTalk ( 0) [LowEndTalk] You've been unbanned.Never tested to see if I could actually log in or not, but it's good to keep in my inbox and have a glance at when I need a chuckle.
You actually are unbanned.

Quote said:
Username Aldryic Email [email protected] Joined August 2011 Visits 448 Last Active July 2014 Roles Member Thanked 862

rds100

Verified Provider
He lives in a high income country, why would he put himself through all this stress and mess for just $1k/month? I am sure he can earn much more if he would spend those extra hours at his regular job.

amuck-landowner