amuck-landowner

LowEndTalk/LowEndBox Gets a New Manager

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Other than the rampant censorship, this is 'one of the reasons' why LET sucks imo: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1465697/#Comment_1465697

Just as a hilarious thread is starting to find its pace / rhythm / whatever after a few goofy warm-up pages... *blam* gets closed like a blue moon defying its own probability of reappearance! (Reoccurring phenomena on that forum in my memory). Reminded me of an excerpt from a writer I like.

The VolumeDrive thread was closed but thankfully the body hair thread  remained open...

Men removing their body hair is a result of decades of castrating radical feminist propaganda in the west. Those bitches want do define the "new man". I wouldn't do that. Wouldn't surrender those ugly hairy bitter feminist bitches .

They should go shave themselves .

I believe a real lady is actually sexually attracted to men body hair so there is no point with the idea of removing it (unless you got lices ..or something) . Most super feminists are lesbians anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

souen

I still check LET during spare time, to catch up on the latest software/services and get a sense of current offers. It's busy but without the cluttered layout of WHT.

Not really sure why some threads never got swept back into Cest Pit (like one where OP asked why people hate his signature) while other Offtopic stuff like Youtube video links, which could be good discussion starters, get processed.) Funny though, the Cest Pit sometimes has more interesting tech discussions going than some of the individual threads.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I still check LET during spare time, to catch up on the latest software/services and get a sense of current offers. It's busy but without the cluttered layout of WHT.

Not really sure why some threads never got swept back into Cest Pit (like one where OP asked why people hate his signature) while other Offtopic stuff like Youtube video links, which could be good discussion starters, get processed.) Funny though, the Cest Pit sometimes has more interesting tech discussions going than some of the individual threads.

Haha honestly I feel like it's always the same content same stuff in a constant cycle.  Not always bad, but usually it's always the new people asking the same questions on different days.  It regurgitates it every other day. 

It's not bad, but it gets a tad bit old pretty fast.  

Of course these are simply my opinions and I'm sure all forums and communities have similar issues.  

qps

Verified Provider
Jarland just re-opened the two drama threads that had been locked "by popular request"...

souen

Haha honestly I feel like it's always the same content same stuff in a constant cycle.  Not always bad, but usually it's always the new people asking the same questions on different days.  It regurgitates it every other day. 

It's not bad, but it gets a tad bit old pretty fast.  

Of course these are simply my opinions and I'm sure all forums and communities have similar issues.  

lol Yeah, a lot of the questions get repeated over and over (partly due to search for a while being disabled.) I still look through some because there may be new software that didn't exist or wasn't too well-known the previous times the topic came up, like blogging platforms.

Jarland just re-opened the two drama threads that had been locked "by popular request"...

The Globalfrag one? OP requested it be re-opened, but resolution is up to the two parties involved. If staff decline to re-open it or sink it instead, it's censorship, re-open it and people bump it instead of letting it languish without new information, which ends up pushing some other good discussion off the front page. LET has its downsides, and at the same time, it's no easy task moderating a rowdy crowd and the moderator turnover is relatively high. Sometimes I feel it's a grey area where both members and staff do their part to keep the site going, the situation exacerbated by lack of trust both ways.

Here people are friendly (or at the least civil when there's disagreement of opinion) and know when to move on in a discussion. In such communities, the staff (presuming good intentions) have less need to step in to moderate or "censor".

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Hey there @mpkossen,
Now that GoodHosting thankfully is no more (at least on the surface), could you divulge some of the particulars about his advice on clustering?

Aren't you about a year late? I remember that thread where they basically doxxed him, called his mother and then started moose pic shaming him en masse after he had stopped responding to support tickets for a while.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Nah, I remember the episode you're referring to. And if I recall correctly there was nothing about this cluster in that episode. /looks for smirk emoticon/

Aren't you about a year late? I remember that thread where they basically doxxed him, called his mother and then started moose pic shaming him en masse after he had stopped responding to support tickets for a while.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
@k0nsl well a year late announcing his unexplained disappearance (unless it was ever explained). Maybe LET will do a cold case files episode and delve into the mysteries of the cluster.

If staff decline to re-open it or sink it instead, it's censorship, re-open it and people bump it instead of letting it languish without new information [...]

Here people are friendly (or at the least civil when there's disagreement of opinion) and know when to move on in a discussion. In such communities, the staff (presuming good intentions) have less need to step in to moderate or "censor".

By 'censor' I meant outright deletions without warning, not locking threads (so probably something most don't notice unless it's frequently happening to them). Blah blah publicly silencing != censoring blah blah.

souen

By 'censor' I meant outright deletions without warning, not locking threads (so probably something most don't notice unless it's frequently happening to them). Blah blah publicly silencing != censoring blah blah.

My comment wasn't directed at you specifically, but rather the opinion some people have that threads are selectively closed/sunk (especially complaints about certain providers) while others of similar ilk are left open.

When you say outright deletions, were you by chance referring to the offer threads?

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
My comment wasn't directed at you specifically, but rather the opinion some people have that threads are selectively closed/sunk (especially complaints about certain providers) while others of similar ilk are left open.

When you say outright deletions, were you by chance referring to the offer threads?

I think they stopped selectively sinking threads a while back, didn't they?

As for selectively closing and deletions, I dunno. Admittedly the political reshuffling has piqued my curiosity a bit, but I don't visit the forum enough to be able to form an opinion on its current ideological direction.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
@k0nsl maybe just pray really hard for irony-spectrometre updates to be integrated into yum and the cluster will vanish?

mpkossen

I think they stopped selectively sinking threads a while back, didn't they?

As for selectively closing and deletions, I dunno. Admittedly the political reshuffling has piqued my curiosity a bit, but I don't visit the forum enough to be able to form an opinion on its current ideological direction.

Selective sinking? What do you mean by that? Isn't it always selective with the exception of offer threads?

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I dunno. I don't pay close enough attention. Wasn't there a vpsBoard thread about it a couple years ago?

I was under the impression most threads on LET are set to auto-sink after a certain amount of time. No idea re: the extent to which thread sinking is quietly guided by moderator biases. I imagined the process as being more automated and less mod driven for some reason, not sure why.

amuck-landowner