amuck-landowner

Mac Pro .. thoughts?

rsk

Verified Provider
Hello Guys,

I was roaming around and I just can't believe my eyes.

Why would you change something intuitive into something that looks like a dust bin?

HUKaoGT.jpg

To:

ESB1Jmt.jpg

What are your thoughts? :D

earl

Considering the older imac's had cooling issues.. I would say they have definitely addressed the issue, if not going a bit overboard.

rsk

Verified Provider
These aren't the iMacs, their the Mac Pro's.

I wouldn't buy the new one. I like the old ones better. 
The old design is really professional to be honest. This new one simply stinks. Looks more like some sort of gizmo/gadget 007 cr*p....

Ah well ...

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I like the brushed aluminum. Heck, I have the white iPhone 5 with beautiful brushed aluminum and a mbp with the same. :)

TheLinuxBug

Hmm, sweet, I need a new garbage can and it is really nice looking, would look great sitting on the floor next to my desk collecting garbage.  

Ohh wait, that's supposed to be a computer?  

Yes, I totally want a something that looks like a garbage can on my desk, you know, that's what is cool now!

No, just....no.  If I thought I didn't like Mac's before, now I am sure I do not like them.

31li1sYz6PL._AA160_.jpgMacPro_PFH_PRINT.jpg

I can see it now....

Friend walks in the room and sees the new Mac Pro sitting on my desk and says, "That's a nice new Garbage Ca-- I mean Mac you have there!"

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

happel

Reminds me of the cube, which was a failure. This one will probably also not become a huge success. 'our most expandable Mac Pro yet', pfff, like people want to have 30 daisy-chained devices laying around their Mac Pros.

jarland

The ocean is digital
The design could be genius for cooling. Theoretically. I'd like the chance to test the theory... they should give me one.

Seriously though I'm pretty sure I'd cause it to overheat by mistaking it for a trash can.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Just think about what happens if this type of design takes off, especially in contrast to the extremely sharp lines of the Xbox and PS4. 

Who knows, could be a shift in the aesthetics of computing from boxes to cylinders.

acd

Interesting. So don't set the new design up on carpet or your airflow is eff'd. Nor should you set it up in a cabinet or rack since that'll restrict vertical airflow. That pretty much eliminates all my use cases. I like the old mac pro design with front-to-back airflow... like a normal case.

wdq

Quade
I think the design is very unique and I'm impressed to see dual Xeons, a ton of memory, and dual GPUs all in that small of a form factor. 

The only real issue I have with it right now is the fact that this doesn't look quite as easy to upgrade, at least with traditional PC parts, when compared to the previous Mac Pro. 

I can't wait to see the type of upgrades that the Thunderbolt ports will allow. I also can't wait to see if these same upgrades will be made available to devices like the MacBook Air. 

jarland

The ocean is digital
I think the design is very unique and I'm impressed to see dual Xeons, a ton of memory, and dual GPUs all in that small of a form factor. 

The only real issue I have with it right now is the fact that this doesn't look quite as easy to upgrade, at least with traditional PC parts, when compared to the previous Mac Pro. 

I can't wait to see the type of upgrades that the Thunderbolt ports will allow. I also can't wait to see if these same upgrades will be made available to devices like the MacBook Air. 
You can get thunderbolt PCIe enclosures right now that pretty much allow whatever type of expansion you want. The Thunderbolt2 doubles the potential throughput so I'm interested to see some enclosures that take more than 1 card.

rds100

Verified Provider
Well, they had to make something different, otherwise everyone would say it is just the same old boring computer. Now expect them to patent the round shape with electronics inside :)

They should consider selling different skins for this thing. I can imagine an R2D2 skin would be fun :)

pcan

This Mac Pro is basically the new high end Mac Mini: single processor, limited internal expansion capability, small and stylish case. This is a wise and logical choice for Apple; they abandoned the real "pro" market long time ago, and a business workstation would not have made any sense now.

shovenose

Verified Provider
I think it's stupid. I owned a Mac Pro two years ago. Only because I liked how it looked.

I sold that and haven't looked back, but I would never buy that overpriced trash bin :)

jarland

The ocean is digital
This Mac Pro is basically the new high end Mac Mini: single processor, limited internal expansion capability, small and stylish case. This is a wise and logical choice for Apple; they abandoned the real "pro" market long time ago, and a business workstation would not have made any sense now.
Thunderbolt 2 and an external PCIe enclosure is clearly their intended path for expansion. It's plenty capable for that, preferences of card location aside. As for processor, single E5 is nothing to shake a stick at and certainly not comparable to the Mac Mini. It's interesting for sure, but this isn't the desktop people mistake it for. Never was. The iMac is intended to be the Apple solution to the workstations people use in their homes for the function of "a little bit of everything." The Mac Pro was always intended to be used in high demand production environments. I think when Apple stopped making tower systems other than the Pro, it confused a lot of people. These things aren't meant to compete with what you build on newegg.

Someone who spends a huge amount of time in After Effects and could benefit from a lot of internal flash storage, dual GPU, and a CPU designed to handle high load and wants all this in one simple package could easily find this appealing. Speaking of which, 4 1/2 hours remaining on render in After Effects right now. I could find this appealing..... :p

amuck-landowner