amuck-landowner

mail-count script

sleddog

This is something I've been working on lately, wondering if anyone is interested.

It's called mail-count, and consists of a bash script that examines a server's mail log periodically via cron, and a PHP script to show the results.

It's focused solely on numbers -- the number of outgoing SMTP deliveries. It can help you keep tabs on the mail your server is sending....

sYCIdQX.png

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
This reminds me of a feature on Zimbra.  Get daily mail notifications on the previous day's stats (how many incoming, how many sent out, etc.)

Basically... THIS IS REALLY USEFUL :)

sleddog

Useful script.  So the reports could be emailed when the cron is run...
The cron script gives you two counters to work with: number of mails sent this run (e.g. 15 minutes), and total mails sent today. You can use either to configure actions, e.g. send an alert, insert an iptables rule, shutdown the mailserver... by default the script simply logs numbers and takes no action.

and how do we get to use this script...
I'll put it up somewhere in a few days.

This reminds me of a feature on Zimbra.  Get daily mail notifications on the previous day's stats (how many incoming, how many sent out, etc.)

Basically... THIS IS REALLY USEFUL :)
It only tracks outgoing mail, to help an admin understand how his/her server is sending mail - with the objective of curtailing abuse.

IntegralHost

Verified Provider
Suggestion: It would be great if you can include the count of mails generated from every email accounts

IntegralHost

Verified Provider
Also the possible spam script location, so that users can track the attacker easily.

Anyway Good Job  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This is something I've been working on lately, wondering if anyone is interested.

It's called mail-count, and consists of a bash script that examines a server's mail log periodically via cron, and a PHP script to show the results.

It's focused solely on numbers -- the number of outgoing SMTP deliveries. It can help you keep tabs on the mail your server is sending....

sYCIdQX.png
Yeah I see a need for this.

Would be nice to be able to calculate inbound and outbound.

Was just talking about this need for someone that is a high volume pressure cooker environment where the bosses are blissfully unaware of the volume of things.

amuck-landowner