amuck-landowner

Mandrill Removing Free Tier - MailChimp

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Got the email a few hours ago.  Mandrill will be requiring all clients, current and new, to have a paid monthly MailChimp account.  Mandrill was previously commonly used by some providers here due to their free tier and cheap pricing from then on out.  Since then, it seems Mandrill will be removing the free tier and moving everyone to paid plans which at minimum will generate 10 dollars per month per client.   Here's a post from the Mandrill Blog below:

Source: http://blog.mandrill.com/important-changes-to-mandrill.html

Today, we’re emailing our customers to announce some significant changes to Mandrill.

Going forward, all Mandrill users will be required to have a paid monthly MailChimp account and verify ownership of all sending domains. Here’s the timeline: Starting 3/16, all new Mandrill users will create accounts through MailChimp, and current Mandrill users can merge their existing Mandrill account with a monthly MailChimp account. Current users will have until 4/27 to merge their accounts.

Why we’re making this change

The MailChimp team built Mandrill in 2012 as a transactional email tool. It was a startup within MailChimp that functioned as a completely separate product. Mandrill is now becoming an optional add-on to paid MailChimp accounts. This is a strategic change we’re making to close the gap between the two products. MailChimp is designed for marketing, and Mandrill is designed for transactional messages. Each is powerful on its own, and offering Mandrill as an add-on makes MailChimp even more powerful for our small business and e-commerce customers. Our CEO and cofounder Ben Chestnut wrote more about the changes on the MailChimp blog.

What you need to know

The application’s functionality and look and feel are not changing at this time. Here are the important changes that will affect all Mandrill accounts:

• Starting today, Mandrill will adopt MailChimp’s Terms of Use and Acceptable Use Policy. These terms reinforce that Mandrill should be used for transactional email, and bulk email/email marketing campaigns should be sent through MailChimp. In addition, MailChimp's Privacy Policy, which has always covered Mandrill, has been updated. If you have any questions about our policy changes, please email [email protected].
  • To continue using Mandrill, all users will be required to have a paid monthly MailChimp account by 4/27.
  • All Mandrill users will be required to verify their sending domains and add SPF and DKIM records by 4/27. This is already in effect for new Mandrill users.
  • Starting 3/16, all new Mandrill accounts will be created and accessed through MailChimp.
  • Starting 3/16, the Mandrill mobile application will no longer be available for installation. It will remain functional for existing users until 4/27.
  • Our billing and pricing model is also changing. MailChimp will generate one consolidated bill that covers your MailChimp and Mandrill charges. Mandrill credits will be sold in blocks of 25,000 emails. Blocks will start at $20 per month. This goes into effect once your accounts are merged.
  • Any existing discounts, free credits, and free accounts will no longer be valid once your accounts are merged.

What you need to do

• If you already have a paid monthly MailChimp account, you’ll be able to merge your accounts starting on 3/16. We’ll send detailed instructions at that time.
  • If you don’t have a paid monthly MailChimp account and decide to create one, you can do so at anytime at mailchimp.com. You’ll be able to merge your accounts starting on 3/16. We’ll send detailed instructions at that time.
  • If you haven’t already done so, you’ll need to add SPF and DKIM records and verify ownership of your sending domains. Here’s an article explaining how to do that. Starting 4/27, Mandrill will not send any email from unverified domains or domains without valid SPF and DKIM records, including public domains like gmail.com and yahoo.com.

If you don’t have a paid monthly MailChimp account merged with your Mandrill account by 4/27, then your Mandrill account will be disabled.

If you have questions or need technical support, please log in to your Mandrill account and click Support. We’ve made support available to all users on free and paid accounts. We know this is disruptive, and we understand that it may affect your decision to use Mandrill. Please know that we carefully considered these changes. The new structure will allow us to create more flexible products and better serve our customers.

Thanks for using Mandrill, and we hope to welcome you to MailChimp soon.

At MailChimp, they also posted the following blog post:

Source: http://blog.mailchimp.com/important-changes-to-mandrill/

Today, my team is sending an email to all Mandrill users about some changes our business is making in the coming weeks. I’ll explain the changes in detail below, but here’s a summary: Mandrill is becoming a transactional email add-on to paid MailChimp accounts instead of a completely separate product.

Going forward, all Mandrill users will be required to have a paid monthly MailChimp account. We want to give everyone plenty of time to research their options and decide whether they’d like to create a MailChimp account, so here’s the timeline and important details:

• Starting March 16, all new Mandrill users will create accounts through MailChimp.
  • Also starting March 16, Mandrill users can merge their existing Mandrill account with a MailChimp account.
  • Current users will have until April 27 to merge the accounts.

This is a big change, so I’d like to provide some context for our customers who want to know the “why” behind strategic decisions like this one.

The back story

We launched Mandrill in 2012 in response to a significant change in customer behavior: MailChimp was great (arguably the best, but I’m biased) at sending one-to-many emails, but customers increasingly wanted the ability to send one-to-one (AKA: “transactional”) messages to their customers. To get good at that new skill while continuing to hone our one-to-many delivery skills, we decided to create a startup within MailChimp. That startup was Mandrill, our transactional email product. In 3 short years, Mandrill grew to more than 800,000 users, reached an annual run rate of $12 million, and has delivered more than 88 billion messages. I’m proud of how far it came in so little time.

Along the way, the transactional email space continued to evolve. Today, some customers want a transactional email service to be a utility—like a “dumb pipe” or ISP that very quickly and efficiently delivers emails, and only delivers emails. Other customers want a smarter transactional email service that helps them deliver personalized, value-added emails (for industries like e-commerce). Those 2 types of transactional emails are very different animals that require very different styles of innovation, so we’re making these changes to Mandrill to better serve our customers.

Fork in the road

Transactional emails, like password reminders and the myriad email notifications you get after making changes to online accounts, are dead simple. Utilitarian providers like Amazon SES excel at this. Their innovation is mostly focused on increasing efficiency and reducing costs. That’s important stuff, and nobody does it better. Personalized emails, like the ones used by e-commerce businesses, require expertise in data and design: Sellers need to deliver highly targeted product recommendations wrapped in a beautiful design that perfectly represents their brand. Nobody does that better than MailChimp (but again, I’m biased). So you can probably guess by now why we’re choosing this path for Mandrill.

MailChimp’s innovation style is all about democratization. We want to build sophisticated, enterprise-grade solutions, and make them more accessible to small businesses (we do that by making it fun and affordable). We came to a fork in the road, and choosing the “personalized transactional” path with Mandrill suits us and our customers better than the “utility” path.

As they say, “culture eats strategy for breakfast,” so no matter how compelling or strategic it may seem to conquer the utility transactional space, MailChimp’s cultural DNA compels us to innovate on e-commerce personalization.

The road(map) ahead

Looking ahead, you’ll see the following advancements to our transactional offering:

• Better template design
  • E-commerce automation workflows (MailChimp has 150,000 email automation customers, and we think this is going to be a great place to use what we’ve learned from Mandrill)
  • Data in one place: Mandrill and MailChimp both provided a tremendous amount of useful data to our customers, but until now, we’ve kept it in 2 places. This change will allow us to merge it all into one place.

Changes to Mandrill

Now that I’ve shared why we’re making this change and given you a peek at what the future holds, let’s talk about what’s happening with Mandrill now. These changes will affect all existing and new Mandrill accounts:

• Mandrill is becoming a paid add-on for monthly MailChimp accounts. It will only be available for MailChimp customers who have monthly plans.
  • The name and design are not changing right now, but we’ll eventually call it MailChimp Transactional and bring the branding under the MailChimp umbrella.
  • All Mandrill users will be required to verify their sending domains and add SPF and DKIM records by April 27. (This is already in effect for new Mandrill users.)
  • The Privacy Policy and Terms of Use will be consolidated with MailChimp’s.
  • The billing and pricing model will also be consolidated with MailChimp’s, so users will get one bill that covers MailChimp and Mandrill charges together. We’re ending the free option. This will help us alleviate the enormous amount of time and effort we spend blocking abusive senders from setting up free Mandrill accounts and sending spam, and allow our developers to focus on personalization. Developers building e-commerce solutions shouldn’t find this to be a burden, and indeed, Mandrill can still be used for “utilitarian” transactional emails like password reminders and purchase receipts, in addition to personalized emails. Startup developers looking for a cheap, reliable transactional service may want to consider Amazon SES.
  • We’re ending our reseller arrangement with Heroku, so those customers will need to move over to a MailChimp plan by April 27. The Heroku partnership was a fruitful one, and app development platforms like Heroku play an important role in our industry.

If you’re a Mandrill user, you’ll receive an email today with more information. Details and pricing are also posted on the Mandrill blog.

We want to make this transition as easy as possible. I know this will be disruptive to some Mandrill users who aren’t interested in the marketing and design features that MailChimp offers, but it’s time we close the gap between MailChimp and Mandrill. With Mandrill as a MailChimp add-on, our small business and e-commerce users will be able to send personalized transactional messages to their customers, with all the design features and ease of use they’ve come to expect from MailChimp

What's your take on this? 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
More of this free-dies-ugly is going to happen.

Plenty of users won't get the memo and have breakage after 4/27.

Where will people go?  They are hoping MailChimp, but I don't see that happening.  A move is a move and people look elsewhere.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
I got the mail, thankfully we migrated most of our stuff off Mandrill onto SendGrid, after one of their recent outages on Jan 29th.

Left some of the lesser important things still on Mandrill, as we've still got some credit balance there, but I guess will have to ship everything out before April.

Wrong move on their side, if you ask me.

bizzard

Glad that I opted MailGun for a recent application. Migrations are always a pain and their new plans seems not affordable for those sending just few mails a month.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
These terms reinforce that Mandrill should be used for transactional email, and bulk email/email marketing campaigns should be sent through MailChimp.
Mandrill credits will be sold in blocks of 25,000 emails. Blocks will start at $20 per month. 
used by some providers here due to their free tier 

If $20 monthly is going to break the bank of any business then I question whether it is worth their time for them to engage in an activity where they need to send transactional emails. 

This will help us alleviate the enormous amount of time and effort we spend blocking abusive senders from setting up free Mandrill accounts and sending spam

Reason #2 why I don't see any problem with this announcement.  CVPS and other f***tards who used Mandrill for non-transactional advertising emails with non-working unsubscribe links will have to pay to send their SPAM which should lead to a reduction in SPAM.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
We use SendGrid for SD but I use Mandrill for all of my other projects that don't generate money. Looks like I'm switching to SendGrid which I prefer and is free with some limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
It's an interesting one. On the other hand when you use transactional email (Mandrill) and newsletters (Mailchimp) with them already, it's not as bad, especially that their deliverability and tracking is quite good.

its a schame they do it though, I used their free tier to test them out and really got addicted afterwards. I don't know if I would sign up initially if I had to pay to send emails... Just some food for thought.

amuck-landowner