amuck-landowner

MaxMind: Updated EULA and Privacy Policy

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Dear Customer,

On July 14, MaxMind will introduce enhancements to our minFraud and Proxy Detection services, making use of browser cookies and other tracking technologies. These will improve our ability to identify site visitors' devices and their characteristics. These changes are reflected in our revised End-User License Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Because these changes entail collecting information from the user's device and placing cookie files or other stored data and related software on the device, we are describing these functions here so that you can determine if you need to update your own cookies notice or privacy policy on websites that employ the Device Tracking Add-on for minFraud or Proxy Detection services.

By continuing to use our products and services, you agree to the terms of the revised EULA, including the obligation to comply with any legal requirements that apply to you under privacy or data protection laws.

Affected Products and Services: minFraud and Proxy Detection services, only if you are implementing the Device Tracking Add-on.

Cookies: A web cookie, a commonly used data collection technology, is simply a piece of text which can be placed on the browser of your personal computer or mobile device and subsequently read as you visit a web site. MaxMind utilizes persistent cookies, which are cookies that remain on your customer's browser over a period of time. Information from a cookie may be collected and used in aggregate form or, alternatively, data may be collected into an individual profile or record. That individual record may either be unique but anonymous, or the profile can be linked with information that identifies your end user as an individual.

HTML5 Features: MaxMind's Device Tracking Add-on for the minFraud and Proxy Detection services will use HTML5 storage.

Purposes and Data Sharing: These cookies and HTML5 features are used for fraud detection purposes, as described in our Privacy Policy.

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have questions concerning these new uses of cookies and HTML5 features in MaxMind's minFraud and Proxy Detection services.

Sincerely,

MaxMind
Time to block cookies!!

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I can see how this can be useful and really like that Maxmind is evolving but, I don't think it's fair to penalize clients who browse with a VPN and then disable the VPN to place an order especially when our website asks them to disable their proxy/VPN before ordering.

I've never even heard of the Device Tracking Add-on but from the looks of it all it does is track a user on your individual website and doesn't contribute to a global database so I don't see the point of it. Now if the cookies were recorded and tracked in a Maxmind database somewhere that said "this PC has been linked to fraud and their new IP is this", then I'd be really excited by this.

amuck-landowner