amuck-landowner

Merry Christmas, Your server is offline!

KuJoe

Verified Provider
So this morning a VPS of mine went offline, 7+ hours later it's still offline with no resolution in sight (the provider has opened a ticket with their vendor though so we'll see). I've already begun shopping around for a replacement but I haven't had any luck since none of the providers that fit my requirements are on live chat or responding to my pre-sales tickets and I don't want to go through the trouble of restoring from backups to a temporary server so now I play the waiting game.

On the upside, the VPS provider's support has been very responsive to all of my requests for updates so at least I know they are there on Christmas Day. :)

Has Murphy struck anybody else this fine December 25th?

Last edited by a moderator:

sundaymouse

Not today, but last night (or afternoon in US), one of my OpenVZ VPS's on east coast was down for half an hour. The provider proceeded to email users about a kernel bug that has caused loss of network connection on that node.

Do wish to hats off to the owner for working hard and swiftly on Christmas Eve :D

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Mostly smooth on our end.

A small interruption / packet loss incident in Denver over Cogent for ~2-5 minutes at 2AM on the 25th but other than that everything ran nice and easy.

We had a few pre-sales tickets too, I must admit honestly in most cases I wouldn't have a problem delaying them until late in the 25th / 26th after festivities but they were not too time consuming in this case.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
So this morning a VPS of mine went offline, 7+ hours later it's still offline with no resolution in sight (the provider has opened a ticket with their vendor though so we'll see).
Taking a wild guess: do they use OnApp?  I had something similar happen 2 weeks ago with my VPS at SeFlow (VPS froze, restart attempts were failing, a few random cold migrations occurred) and they contacted OnApp who discovered (yet another) bug.

Murphy usually waits until 2AM-4AM to get me.

AutoSnipe

Verified Provider
Yep, i've had a horrible 24-36 Hours.. 

LA Node has been offline for 24 Hours so far, with no resolution in sight from the provider. 

and another node had 18 containers compromised. and needed a reboot.. (Excessive server load, + DDoS Attacks)

So, i'm shopping for a new LA Node. hopefully all goes well.. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I  just had a downed server :)  Doing MySQL table checks and rebuilds.    One of these years I'll eliminate the MySQL dropped tables hassle.

souen

Merry Christmas and thanks for the uptime check reminder. I found a vps down for 33 hours due to virtual network adapter disconnect, but it's back after a reboot.

Hopefully everyone who's been having problems gets them resolved soon. Have a cuppa to get you going. :)

?u=http%3A%2F%2Flh5.ggpht.jpg

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The holidays this year are brutal on how they fall and office folks taking mass time off work.

Christmas was Wednesday half day for most, at best.  Thursday off and skeleton crew for Friday.

Now for New Years we have  slacking on Wednesday again, off on Thursday.  More skeleton crews on Friday.  

Entire mess for me getting things done, shipped and dealing with folks at desks.  Plus I have employees that ASSume those Fridays are days off..  or practiced their drinking on holiday and too sh!tfaced to work on Friday.

We need to move Christmas to give more space between it and new years.  Whole reason for the season wasn't a December birth... but yeah...  keep shitting on productivity this year.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If I weren't married with a kid I would LOVE to work on Christmas. I remember back in high school, a friend and I would always volunteer for holiday shifts because it meant more money for less work. I hate reading when people who celebrate Christmas complain when X company is open and "making" their employees work. Why aren't people complaining when companies force us to take days off?

Anyways, enough ranting about ignorant people being selfish. A shout out to QuadraNet for being there during Christmas to answer my tickets and keep prodding OnApp until they fixed my InfraCloud instance that night. :)

coreyman

Verified Provider
So this morning a VPS of mine went offline, 7+ hours later it's still offline with no resolution in sight (the provider has opened a ticket with their vendor though so we'll see). I've already begun shopping around for a replacement but I haven't had any luck since none of the providers that fit my requirements are on live chat or responding to my pre-sales tickets and I don't want to go through the trouble of restoring from backups to a temporary server so now I play the waiting game.

On the upside, the VPS provider's support has been very responsive to all of my requests for updates so at least I know they are there on Christmas Day. :)

Man that really sucks. We had a small situation where someone was peaking a gigabit port off and on over the holidays - but we got it resolved as soon as we noticed our monitoring software wasn't installed on that server >.>

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I had a disk failure and another imminent disk failure in the same raid set at a customers site 15 minutes before ending my shift.

20 minute drive one way. Nothing I couldn't handle but it pissed me off at that moment since I had plans to go christmas shopping.

trewq

Verified Provider
I had a disk failure and another imminent disk failure in the same raid set at a customers site 15 minutes before ending my shift.

20 minute drive one way. Nothing I couldn't handle but it pissed me off at that moment since I had plans to go christmas shopping.
Hope you got paid overtime.

amuck-landowner