amuck-landowner

Mothership1 $50 Promo

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The free $50 must be used within the first month, unless you buy another $25 within a month (in which case, what's left of the $50 credit will be yours to keep in your account).
So something is free, but must spend it in 30 days... That's pretty shady.

Botched the promo.. then respun it.. then the 30 day must use.. then we have people partially provisioned...

Meh, count me as unimpressed.

mothership1

Verified Provider
The likelihood of me buying another $25 is getting slimmer: 3 hours after VM creation I'm still waiting for it to be assigned an IP address.
Hi, we are sorry for your experience. What happens is that during the startup your firewall assigns the IP address. You need to refresh your screen to see the IP address assigned (this is something we will need to trigger better, as many customers asked this). If that action will not show the IP address, we need to check your virtual firewall configuration. As we are adding non stop customers, it might be that something went wrong during the provisioning of your firewall. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] including your username and the issue, we are 24/7 following up and will get back to you asap.

mothership1

Verified Provider
unbelievable just to login to my server take few minutes. And server unresponsive, anyone else has similiar problem?

I'm too bored to sent ticket support :p
Hi, please contact us regarding this issue at [email protected], including your username will do.

We suspect you have been provisioned on a busy cloud node. Now it can indeed happen that you provisioned on a heavy loaded cloud node. Note that we monitor cloud nodes and live migrate virtual machines between cloud nodes whenever needed to ensure a good experience for all users.

Note as well that there will be a difference depending on the OS image you have selected. We have images that take 2 seconds to create and you can log in after 5 seconds already. Heavier images, like Windows images, can take a little bit longer to start. After your first provisioning, the next time starting your virtual machine will always be much faster.

sv01

Slow but sure
30 minutes after creation and I'm still waiting for an IP address to be assigned so the only access I have is through the control panel console (their website is slow so it's hard to tell whether the VM itself is responsive or not... )
This happen to me too. 

@mothership1 

little confusing with your product name : Cloud Space, Desktop Deck, Machine Deck, Storage Deck and Application Deck (Q4)

knowledge base not help there. 

Too much headache to explore your control panel. 

Navigation : 

Username /Default
Username
  -> Default
New Cloud Space 

what's New Cloud Space there? Cloud here and there very confusing.  

Take look at Linode control panel straight forward. 

mothership1

Verified Provider
Site is down, this certainly instills confidence. 
Due to a load balancing issue, there was indeed an issue around the time you checked the Mothership1 commercial website, but only for some users. This has been fixed meanwhile. No customer virtual machines were impacted.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The IP assignment issue has been fixed.

For the benchmark fans:

Benchmarks after installation, pre -optimization:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.7.91
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2266.746 MHz
Total amount of ram : 473 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime :   2 min,       
Download speed from CacheFly: 20.7MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1.38MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.53MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 680KB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 1.30MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 5.05MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 452KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.68MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.52MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.91MB/s
I/O speed :  55.9 MB/s
Benchmarks after network optimization, I/O optimization, and  changing the scheduler to noop, etc. (here's a handy link for anyone who doesn't know how to optimize network performance on KVM, Xen, etc : https://my.iniz.com/knowledgebase/17/KVM-Starter-Guide.html)

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.7.91
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2266.746 MHz
Total amount of ram : 473 MB
Total amount of swap : 511 MB
System uptime :   35 min,       
Download speed from CacheFly: 54.1MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 14.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 45.1MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.23MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 12.7MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 28.6MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.20MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 32.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 15.1MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 71.4MB/s
I/O speed :  143 MB/s
Optimization makes a huge difference. Location for this VM is Toronto.

Too much headache to explore your control panel.
Expanding the knowledebase and tutorials  would probably be advisable if you want to reach a larger audience.  Example: I like the use of RouterOS for the Defense Shields but someone who has never used it would be completely lost when they click on Defense Shields "Advanced Shields Configuration" and are confronted with the RouterOS WebFig interface and all of its options.

amuck-landowner