amuck-landowner

MR: Your interest in an Atom-powered dedicated server in Los Angeles?

willie

I wouldn't want a dedi with just one drive, but 2x 3tb at $30 sounds great.  I'm only a bit dubious because it's so cheap, I don't see how it can be sustainable.  If I pay for drives upfront can I buy them from you?  I.e. you'd ship them to me with my data on them.  I'd pay reasonable costs and charges in connection with that of course.

I wouldn't need the /29.  A single address is enough since it would be a personal server.  I'd be interested in something with a more powerful CPU though.

I'd probably want the 1000gb plan, though is that for both inbound and outbound?  I want mostly inbound bandwidth, relatively little outbound.  The idea with the disk purchase is I want to transfer a few TB of data from my OVH dedis to my own gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Why 3 TB? Two 1TB drives would be perfect. Two 512GB drives too.

And as willie says. 1 or 2 ips would be enough.

Eric1212

Verified Provider
Would you provide Software RAID setup -- or do we have to do this over IPMI? 

I'd order right away!

manacit

I would definitely want as much storage as possible (backups / storing BIG DATA, etc), 1 x 3TB drive would be perfect (as would allowing people to buy additional in full). I'd also want more bandwidth - would 5TB on GBit be possible? I'd even pay another ~$5 to go from 1TB -> 5TB

Damian

Verified Provider

Well I just don't see how you can make a profit on these, even assuming you are buying all the hardware used. 
The hardware will be new. We expect a ~3 year minimum lifecycle out of the hardware that we buy, and at $20/month, each node would be paid off in 11 months, meaning that we then get 25 months of revenue, not considering dead hardware replacement costs. Which gives away how much we're paying for each node.

Really, if someone produced a cheap 2TB SSD that only did 40MB/s I'd be jumping all over them just to have dense reliable storage
Same here!

Haha, looks like a lot of people are really all over this deal. I for one am really excited to try it out since it has awesome specs for the price, but more importantly, finally a good dedi deal in LA, since I'm in Asia.
Yep, that's kinda our pivot here: low cost dedicated servers for the West Coast/Asian market. 

If I pay for drives upfront can I buy them from you?  I.e. you'd ship them to me with my data on them.  I'd pay reasonable costs and charges in connection with that of course.
We were actually kinda thinking about offering something similar. Buy your drives for their replacement cost and we'll ship them to you for whatever shipping would cost. Not sure if we'd get a lot of interest in that.

I wouldn't need the /29.  A single address is enough since it would be a personal server.
It's a bit easier to split servers by /29's than it is by individual addresses, as they can be in their own vlan which helps to ensure that customers don't see eachother's traffic. Plus if we gave only a single address, and then the customer in the future decides that they want more addresses, it's easier to add them to a vlan.

I'd be interested in something with a more powerful CPU though.
Perhaps in a future cycle.

I'd probably want the 1000gb plan, though is that for both inbound and outbound?  I want mostly inbound bandwidth, relatively little outbound.  The idea with the disk purchase is I want to transfer a few TB of data from my OVH dedis to my own gear.
It would be for both combined inbound and outbound, yes. American datacenters don't seem to be interested in giving free incoming transfer (or I haven't figured out the right people to ask for it).

Why 3 TB?
Using a $150 price point for hard drives, which means we can offer 256gb SSDs. A $150 SATA drive ends up being a 3 TB nowadays, so no need to arbitrarily cheap out and buy a smaller drive.

I've always found it interesting when companies try to "upsell" SSDs in a dedicated server when they're the same price as a standard mechanical drive, just storing less. 

Would you provide Software RAID setup -- or do we have to do this over IPMI? 

I'd order right away!
Not sure yet. 

Damian

Verified Provider
Okay, i've re-worked this a bit, and added more information. New stuff in red.

I can't seem to edit my original post... @MannDude or someone else, can you copy this into my original post with a note that it's an update?

Atom D2550 D525 (older CPU, though it's about the same thing... see http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/739/Intel_Atom_D2550_vs_Intel_Atom_D525.html for a comparison. I know some people get bent out of shape regarding "old" CPUs)

4gb DDR3 (same)

Your choice of 1000gb 5000gb on gigabit with minimum 90% of gigabit speed guaranteed OR unmetered gigabit shared with 30 other clients

Your choice of 3 TB 7200rpm SATA HD OR 256gb SSD (same)

Los Angeles datacenter (same)

/29 of IPv4 (same)

some allotment of IPv6 (not sure what size yet) (same)

Support via ticket only, 20 minute response time during American daytime, 1 1/2 hour response during American nighttime. (same)

No IPMI IPMI provided for free, but you'll have to connect to a VPN to use it

Server provisioned automatically within a few minutes, but will require you to set up the OS yourself via IPMI OR we install the OS for you for free, but may take up to 24 hours. We will reinstall the OS once a month for free, or you can log in to the IPMI and do it yourself at any time.

$20 $25 / month

Addons:

Additional hard drive: $10 per month OR $150 one-time (no hardware RAID would be available)

Additional IPv4: $5 per /29

IP KVM access: $5 per month, or $20 per request

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Considering I already have 1 server on RTO and another other colocated over at SouthBend Servers the $20 pricepoint is a little more appealing.

Setsura

I'd definitely be in for one with the 3TB drive, I'd prefer more than 1TB on GBit (maybe 3-5?) but if that's not possible, shared would work too. 

When I say definitely, I mean point me @ the order form and I'll buy one right now. 
This. I'll seriously give you my money right now if you want.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Hmm, what's the specs on that? Also, where are they at? I put "south bend servers" into the google and only got https://southbendservers.com/‎ back which didn't have any servers or colo on it.
I should clarify - The colo and RTO are not near the $20 price point. I meant that I already have servers so the atom would be worth more along the lines of $20 as I have a P4 at WSI for $19. Although with the SSD the $25/month is not bad at all.

They are located in South Bend Indiana at Colostore.

I think Zach is working on the site right now. They offer dedicated servers and VPS's, looks like he's adding a page for colo as well.

lbft

I would be extremely interested, it'd be lovely to have a cheap dedi closer to home. Funny thing though, although I don't know why, that measly little $5 difference would make me a little less keen (it makes no sense since I'd probably pay the $5 for KVM access anyway). Humans are weird.

The CPU makes absolutely no difference, both CPUs perform exactly the same.

One thing though, 3TB disk and unmetered shared gigabit is going to attract torrenters. Can the network handle that?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I would get this.  I would purchase this so hard.  Drop my dedicated servers in other locations just for this.  

amuck-landowner