amuck-landowner

Multi Location Traceroute Project

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I was thinking it would be cool to build a website where you could run a traceroute from multiple locations at once. Specifically, it would be cool to be able to run one from multiple vps providers all on one page/website.

I could host a few locations on my own vps, however I would want more locations than I currently have.

Any thoughts? Anybody willing to host/sponsor a node? 

nunim

VPS Junkie
There's already some projects like this, like lowendping, i added that functionality to my looking-glass software, but it's hard to compete with already established networks that have 50+ pops to ping/route from.

Checkout: http://lowendping.nikkii.us/

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@nunim - True, however I would really like to build this for the vpsboard community and aim it towards people who want to look at VPS providers networks.

@Damian - Awesome. Thank You!

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
So far we have - 

IPXCore - AIS Lightwave (San Diego)

IPXCore - ColoCrossing Buffalo

RamNode - The Westin Building (Seattle)

Wholesale Internet - Kansas City, MO

NeoSurge - Chicago

These are for sure. More pending. 

@ihatetonyy - What/where can you offer?

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@ihatetonyy - I am interested in

CVPS/Hostigation/BlueVM Los Angeles/QuadraNET

CVPS Chicago/ColoCrossing

QuickPacket Las Vegas

NodeDeploy Atlanta

24KHost South Bend

NodeDeploy Frankfurt

Prometeus Milan

@KuJoe - Awesome, thank you!

rds100

Verified Provider
There is already similar site - www.just-traceroute.com

But it doesn't seem to work very well.

Maybe you can just use the looking glasses that the providers have, run the traceroutes through there and pipe the results to your own aggregation page.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@rds100 - I've thought about doing that, I just think it could end up being more work to do that. I don't want to write scripts to parse each separate looking glass. Plus a universalized theme/code base would be really nice.

Edit: They don't offer a wide variety of locations on just-traceroute.com. This is aimed towards VPS hosting customers who want to thoroughly check the network of the hosts.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
A webserver that supports php is really the only requirement at this point. Eventually it may require some form of database, but I'm trying to stay away from caching too much information.

ihatetonyy

A webserver that supports php is really the only requirement at this point. Eventually it may require some form of database, but I'm trying to stay away from caching too much information.
Sounds good. If you get something going with Python, that'd be awesome too, if only because they're all already running Cent with Python.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Cool. I'll work on the code and work on setting up/testing it in the next couple days. Hopefully by Friday I can do a soft launch.

amuck-landowner