amuck-landowner

MySQL Issues

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I've gotten in the habit of running `apt-get update` and `apt-get upgrade` every time I log in to one of my VPSes. Lately I've been seeing the usual upgrades, but also MySQL packages that are being "kept back". I did an `apt-get dist-upgrade` on one of my VPSes to test, and now MySQL seems like it might be broken on that one. Anyone know what's up here? I'm still trying to figure out if the MySQL issues are mine or the servers, but if there's some change to MySQL that I should know about, I'm all ears.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well.   Is MySQL running to start with?

Have you tried starting MySQL manually?  Will it start?

Checked the system logs if so?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
The MySQL errors were my fault. Table change. I am still wondering why the MySQL upgrades are being held back.

TheLinuxBug

I believe this is because they just moved from 5.1 to 5.5 and 5.5 has a few changes that can cause problems if your not ready for it.  I would have to do a more thorough search, but I am thinking this is the reason.  I have already run into an issue with a fresh install of the latest Ubuntu on a customers server where their old setup was using 5.1 and the new bleeding edge Ubuntu install was using 5.5 and had a few issues.  They are slipping my mind at the moment but if I remember them I will let you know.

Edit: This may shed some light on it: Upgrading from MySQL 5.1 to MySQL 5.5

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The MySQL errors were my fault. Table change. I am still wondering why the MySQL upgrades are being held back.
apt-get dist-upgrade

That isn't grabbing the MySQL upgrade?

I usually don't mess with "stuck" updates.   Have had lots of breakage trying to force the package.

aptitude seems to do a tad better in my experience with updates.

Have you done?

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Then try:

apt-get dist-upgrade

If that still refuses to install, try aptitude:

aptitude full-upgrade

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I haven't done the dist-upgrade yet, I'm sure that will make the upgrade go through. I just don't want to because as @TheLinuxBug mentioned, there may be upgrade issues which I'll want to look in to first. Thanks for the help, both of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
In related news, I just forced an update that was stuck over here.... MySQL... but we didn't even have that installed... But did have Percona variety installed.

After that, nothing MySQL was running.

apt-get autoremoved percona---whatever

Did apt-get install of percona... wait package not found :)

Debian 7... Do dah.

Well no debugging from me for now as desktop MySQL is just for random stuff every once in a while.  Was going to get up and running with MariaDB anyways :)

amuck-landowner