amuck-landowner

Need a router for the house.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Long story short, I need to place an order for a router tonight.

Doesn't need to be anything special, just something so I can get a few devices online. Needs wifi capability but I'll likely wire everything to it so a small handful of ethernet ports is needed.

The one being used currently, I was unaware, is rented and will be removed Monday. It's just a cheap looking Cisco router. I'm switching internet plans and that router can't stay here. I called this evening to inform them that I would indeed need a router despite previously saying I already have one, but didn't get through to anyone. They're coming Monday to do the switch so I need get something ASAP.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I only use Buffalo routers because of their awesome track record and they come with a custom DD-WRT firmware by default. I'm looking to replace this though because DD-WRT doesn't play well with IPv6 and I'm making the switch to IPv6 at home.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Last edited by a moderator:

earl

I doubt they will send you just a modem only, normally they have something like a modem router with 4 port and wifi unless it is cable internet, not sure about those..

Normally the cheapest brand would be tplink, they work OK but in any case I would buy a ipv6 ready router. Probably worth it in the long run..

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
I'd say stick with the e1200.  If it was handling the load before why change things up? :D

I personally own an e1200 and have had 0 complaints about it.  It's reliable.  Great WiFi range.  No power cycle issue or overheating like the old WRT's.

TP-Link is also a GREAT company.  Have used their USB WiFi adapter with GREAT success.  I'm talking about places other wireless cards get either no signal or a signal with so much noise that it is unusable.  At ~$15 you can't beat it! :D  Installed many of the TP-Links in offices and NEVER had 1 complaint.

I have a bit of a background in WiFi.  Used to operate an 8.5 mile wireless LAN for a non profit in my area :D

They will probably send you a modem, router, wifi unit.  Unless your on some archaic cable connection that only provides the modem itself.  

Either way, disable all that crap on the modem and still use a separate device for routing and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

XFS_Brian

Verified Provider
I personally use the Asus RT-N16. I has an IPv6 menu so you can configured it how you like. Right now, I have mine setup use HE Tunnelbroker. It works great for what I need. I even has a VPN Server which allows 10 clients. Even has its own Samba, FTP, DLNA, and iTunes Server built into it. It is supported by DD-WRT if you like to go that route as well.

Zach

Verified Provider
I have a TPLink WDR3600 and it's been great so far.  Using it as a access point since Comcast cable gives you a router/modem combo and no way to disable the routing functions of it.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I stuck with the e1200 Linksys because I was afraid had I ordered a new one from Amazon it'd not arrive in time, so am renting this router from the internet people.

Still want to replace it though, with something different soon. First time I've had the net in my name, thus the first time I've actually had full access to the router so I want something I can tinker with and learn from.

Any good routers that will allow IPv6 tunneling since I don't have IPv6 in my area yet?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
If you like to tinker you could get the linksys ex3200.

It'll run you about $100 but you can drop DD-WRT on it and it'll be stable as hell.

I got Anthony one for Christmas last year and the only time it has gone down is when he has had power outages in Florida.

Francisco

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Whatever you do, don't get the Netgear WNDR4000.  Someone recommended that to me, and I've been regretting it ever since.

Some weekend project at some point is to get out this Cisco ASA5505 and Ubiquiti Networks AP I have and fix the home network up.  At some times, there's up to 15 devices on the WLAN alone, and the WNDR4000 doesn't scale to those levels at all.

amuck-landowner