amuck-landowner

Need DDoS Protection on my Website

WebTech Hosts

Verified Provider
Hi Guys,

Recommendations for affordable DDoS protection for websites - multiple domains.

Needs to be good.

Thanks,

Kyle

WebTech Hosts

Verified Provider
I think you have misunderstood me - I have a managed VPS that I am quite happy with - but i require DDoS protection from an outside source.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
We do managed plans in the list prices.

cPanel would be $12/month more, filtered IP is $3.00/month.

A GRE would be possible and is easy enough to configure with cPanel.

Let me know,

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I think you have misunderstood me - I have a managed VPS that I am quite happy with - but i require DDoS protection from an outside source.
X4B is also available in addition to the recommendations above.

But you can also just do a GRE Tunnel from a BuyVM or RamNode VPS to your Managed server very easily.  

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
You can make custom script or use cloudflare or  use a plugin if you are running website on a CMS. I would recommend to apply captcha at your registration and login pages. Nginx is a good alternative to make your website fast. 

RTGHM

You can make custom script or use cloudflare or  use a plugin if you are running website on a CMS. I would recommend to apply captcha at your registration and login pages. Nginx is a good alternative to make your website fast. 
How in gods name will nginx stop someone flooding the pipe with a ton of garbage?

eva2000

Coincidentally, I just blogged about this today:

https://raindog308.com/where-is-ddos-protection-in-premium-hosting/

tl;dr: I am surprised the premium managed VPS providers such as KnownHost/WiredTree, have not offered DDOS protection as an add-on offering.  Especially since so many budget providers (BuyVM, Ramnode, SecureDragon) do.
i think it's just a matter of when and not if they will have such :)

and what about SLA and stuff with higher end hosts ? some would have greater responsibility and liability in case of downtime compared to low end web hosts ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Coincidentally, I just blogged about this today:

https://raindog308.com/where-is-ddos-protection-in-premium-hosting/

tl;dr: I am surprised the premium managed VPS providers such as KnownHost/WiredTree, have not offered DDOS protection as an add-on offering.  Especially since so many budget providers (BuyVM, Ramnode, SecureDragon) do.
We expect to have our fully managed cPanel plans out on the market in the next couple weeks. All of our current 256MB+ plans will also be fully managed w/o a price hike and cPanel plans will be starting at $25/m for 1G/1G.

Does that put us in the premium bracket or do we have to triple the price too? :p

Francisco

lbft

Some companies see DDoS as something that happens to 'difficult' clients - clients that they don't want. Of course with the rise of DDoS extortion/protection rackets, cheap booters usable by any disgruntled 14 year old with mommy's credit card, and scumbags throwing attacks at their competitors, it's no longer only skids that get attacked.

The unfortunate thing is that things are unlikely to change until DDoS becomes more commonplace and it is no longer possible to pretend that it doesn't harm legitimate customers.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
We expect to have our fully managed cPanel plans out on the market in the next couple weeks. All of our current 256MB+ plans will also be fully managed w/o a price hike and cPanel plans will be starting at $25/m for 1G/1G.

Does that put us in the premium bracket or do we have to triple the price too? :p

Francisco
Does that mean my 512MB VPS will have management for free?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Interesting, so a custom script,  or a Wordpress or CMS plugin, or captcha on registration and login pages, or Nginx will help prevent or mitigate a DDoS attack.

ModyDev

setting keep-alive to 0 will reduce the amount of load on the server , blocking bad or unknown user-agents and setting low max request size will help.

Here is my lighttpd config

server.even-handler = "linux-sysepoll"
server.network-backend = "writev"
status.status-url ="/server-status"
server.max-fds = 9096
server.max-keep-alive-idle =0
server.max-keep-alive-requests=0
server.max-request-size=10
server.max-write-idle=15

Here [i own this domain ] you can see Lighttpd standing on a medium layer7 attack.

I hope this config helps you ,

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner