amuck-landowner

Network Lookup Tool feedback wanted.

egihosting

Verified Provider
Hi all.

Just wanted some feedback on a new tool we're creating. We ALL use bgp.he.net, but there was some stuff missing, so we created this.

It helps us internally for a lot of our work, but we wanted to release it as well to the community.

Any feedback, postive and negative, is greatly appreciated so we can improve it.

www.asnmap.com

Thanks.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Quite cool! When it comes to providers in RIPE I tend to use their RIPEstat tools. I'm liking the provider relationship that you put but there are some more features that can be added, like viewing additional information on the IP prefixes including PTR delegation and such which would be useful, little bits like that.

Someonething else that would be great but a little harder to implement would be logging history of changes and such of announcements and peers perhaps.

egihosting

Verified Provider
Quite cool! When it comes to providers in RIPE I tend to use their RIPEstat tools. I'm liking the provider relationship that you put but there are some more features that can be added, like viewing additional information on the IP prefixes including PTR delegation and such which would be useful, little bits like that.

Someonething else that would be great but a little harder to implement would be logging history of changes and such of announcements and peers perhaps.

Thanks for the feedback, we do indeed have plan to store the history data of the prefix list and their peers

egihosting

Verified Provider
I personally prefer the layout on bgp.he.net.
Thanks for the feedback, our layout is indeed a little bit different than they have, especially for adding the downstreaming/customer part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintereise

In all honesty, the map based representation on bgp.he.net is probably the clearest way to go about it.

I saw your post in the NANOG list, and tried it out. Extensive use of JS meant I had to add an exception to noscript to even be able to see the edges -- and even when I did, two of my three upstreams were missing labels / tags.

These lines should be bolded, and you should be choosing better colors (note the missing labels) -- http://voile.tomoyo.eu/pool/TB

On the prefixes page, you should be fetching the block's own name from the IRR / actual registry instead of repeating the ASN descr on every single one (bgp.he.net does this already)

IRRd lookup for ASN objects / public routes are missing, as is ROA verification for the few prefixes that have it.

I realize this is beta, but all of this will need to be added in before it becomes a viable alternative. In addition, consider giving people raw access to the AS path data if you want this to be used programmatically; an API, perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

egihosting

Verified Provider
In all honesty, the map based representation on bgp.he.net is probably the clearest way to go about it.

I saw your post in the NANOG list, and tried it out. Extensive use of JS meant I had to add an exception to noscript to even be able to see the edges -- and even when I did, two of my three upstreams were missing labels / tags.

These lines should be bolded, and you should be choosing better colors (note the missing labels) -- http://voile.tomoyo.eu/pool/TB

On the prefixes page, you should be fetching the block's own name from the IRR / actual registry instead of repeating the ASN descr on every single one (bgp.he.net does this already)

IRRd lookup for ASN objects / public routes are missing, as is ROA verification for the few prefixes that have it.

I realize this is beta, but all of this will need to be added in before it becomes a viable alternative. In addition, consider giving people raw access to the AS path data if you want this to be used programmatically; an API, perhaps.
Thanks Man, this is very good and honest feedback, couple things want to explain a little bit.

1. for not showing label on your ISP, the thing is that sometime a map may have more than 1000 nodes, you can check cogent/HE/level3 any big guys map, if we show every ASN's label on those maps, it will be a mess, so we decide give a "size" on each of the ASN, and if the size is relatively big enough on this map, the label will show up, otherwise you have to check the left panel or zoom in to show those labels.

2.  for the IRR part, first of all, we will be added RADB resource soon, but on the other hand for my own opinion, we don't really use the IRR for those prefix list though, since a lot of people are not keep their prefix list or IRR synchronized/updated on time or not at all. The IPv4/6 tag pretty much shows what that ASN really announced instead of what their SWIP or IRR says 

3, the API access, if a lot people find it usable, then we may add the api in the future.

And again, thanks for taking some time to try out our new tools and give us very honest feedback

egihosting

Verified Provider
Get more than 700 unique user check out our new tool in the last 24 hrs, and also get some feedbacks about API access and IRR record.

For the API part, we may add it in the future if we have enough people want to access or use it, pretty much will be a restful with json format output, so far we don't plan to do anything with whois format output.

For the IRR record, we just added IRR for the ASN, we are using RADB/LEVEL3/ARIN/RIPE/NTT/ALTDB right now, and we may add IRR for the IP blocks in the future, right now no plan to do that yet.

Thanks guys.

VMBox

Verified Provider
Looking good however I think maybe a lite version for easier viewing for just the AS to IP info would be nice.

amuck-landowner