amuck-landowner

New GeoIP & JsonIP API

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Hello!

I have just completed a script which provides GeoIP information for a certain IP. This project was originally created for my only so the script won't have to access external sites anymore to get the information, however I thought it would be a great idea if I could open this up for free for developers :)

It's called the GeoIP & JsonIP REST API, basically it provides the GeoIP (eg. IP location, ASN, ISP, latitude, longitude, etc) or JsonIP (IP address in Json format) information for an IP and is pretty accurate & updated monthly. The database comes from MaxMind.

Check it out: https://www.petabyet.com/api/

P.S.: Check the improved benchmarking reports as well!!

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Hold up, isn't there something in the Maxmind TOS/licensing agreement that prevents you from handing out this info for free?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I like it!

Works with curl also :)    Like the simplified output there...  Shouldn't be too hard parse...

Neat stuff!

fixidixi

Hy,

I havent found a tos/aup regarding the api.

may i ask if you keep records of the requested information? :)

tortau

@Nett: I've also built an API for this but am using GeoLite2 database. Judging from your output, are you using GeoLite(v1) databases? I just wanted to check because I'm unable to obtain the traits/ASN data from GL2 free databases but I know that is available for the GL1.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Yes, it's V1.

Hy,

I havent found a tos/aup regarding the api.

may i ask if you keep records of the requested information?  :)
Here:

PetaByet offers a free GeoIP & JsonIP REST API to developers for their projects.
We offer this service for free public use for non-commercial projects however a link back is appreciated.

amuck-landowner