amuck-landowner

New Home Server

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Hello everyone!

My home file server (Proliant DL380 G4) has been on the fritz recently and I am looking to build a replacement server. 

This server will be serving files and owncloud as well as running ssh tunnels.

What are your suggestions for hardware and specs? Should I buy another older rack mount server or what would be the best option?

I want to spend around $250-300 for a nice little box (Hard Drives excluded as I already have a nice little external raid with 3TB).

Thanks for your suggestions!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, SSH tunnels and file serving via Owncloud really doesn't require all that horsepower, loud fans, etc.  I use low power ARM devices to accomplish these things :)

What's going on with the Proliant server that it is failing?  Have you outgrown it or just having issues and taking this as reason to buy something new?

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I have a rack and a small well ventilated server closet that houses all the routing and multimedia equipment for the house as is.

This is more that I need a summer project and since I have outgrown the DL380 I think it's time to upgrade.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Oh, and I'm not just running owncloud, I run samba, afp, and a few media protocols to stream music and video to dvd players and multimedia boxes and laptops. I average around 128MBps in the evenings while streaming lots of data. I run dual gigabit cards on separate vlans as well.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good stuff :)  Yeah you use the server :)

$200-300 isn't much of a budget.

I think what you had was a dual Xeon.  You could probably find a dual quad core Xeon from the used/refurb sellers.

That's typically my upgrade route on the cheap.  Move all the drives over to the new server ideally along with any other components you can.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Just get a cheap Celeron G1610 with a little MSI H61 motherboard (MSI boards on these small platforms have always given me good luck and I've built over a dozen systems with them)...

amuck-landowner