amuck-landowner

New LowEndBox kickstarter project.

mpkossen

Something elsewhere is required. Some proper rules and regulation, too. Oh, and non LEB, too.
As far as I know it doesn't have to be LEB-only. I think they'll also accept one or two LEB plans (128MB and 256MB) and the rest out of the LEB range. We also don't need more RAM racers. It's becoming increasingly harder to find new providers offering 128MB annual plans.

mpkossen

CC is just a few steps away from selling "vps company" as a product listed in WHMCS. Turnkey ready to go VPS company.
This is just a price to help somebody to get started. The rules only say that you may continue to use their servers after the competition, it doesn't say you have to, AFAIK. Also, as much as I like you, the constant CC hate is boring and it's getting old.

I agree that anyone who has a chance of "winning" this already has enough knowledge/experience to start their own company or had already been working for a current VPS host. 

However, there may be a few people with particular limitations, that could benefit greatly from this. Honestly anyone can go out and spend 200$/month starting from month one and have a company, IMO the real "gift" is the consultation and education from working with a provider as large as ColoCrossing (albeit one with a bad rep.).

I think the fact that it will be a community vote will cause some issues because most of the popular people in this community already have their hands in a company/project and will be unable to devote 100% time to this new opportunity. 

Itll be interesting to see the results, wonder if someone will be able to write up a successful business plan + compete with ~20 established hosts in CC. While turning profit at month 7.
I really look forward to the responses as well. I think this is a great way to get somebody started, especially somebody with a solid plan but without the financial means to pick this up themselves. I'm also hoping that by using community voting, we won't end up with such a bad situation as we did last year. He (the winner of last year's competition) kept postponing everything, always had an excuses and eventually started blaming CC for it.

Ivan

Verified Provider
I'd probably benefit A LOT if I win a competition where I get consultation, training and teaching :p and.. maybe a dedicated server along the way.. But yeah, this competition from CC is a really great one for someone who has the knowledge, but not the finances. 

Consultation also sounds pretty awesome, from someone as big as CC, as mentioned above. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

jarland

The ocean is digital
This is just a price to help somebody to get started. The rules only say that you may continue to use their servers after the competition, it doesn't say you have to, AFAIK. Also, as much as I like you, the constant CC hate is boring and it's getting old.
The whining about it from people who are either on their payroll or who's business depends on their wellbeing is getting far older. Walk it off.

The whining about it from people who are either on their payroll or who's business depends on their wellbeing is getting far older. Walk it off.

Heaven forbid someone's business relies on someone elses business.

And I second that the constant CC bashing is getting old.  Really old. <queue beatingdeadhorse.jpg>

Transparency:  No, I'm not a CC employee, no I don't live in Buffalo.  I live in nebraska, and make sandwiches.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
 I'm also hoping that by using community voting, we won't end up with such a bad situation as we did last year. He (the winner of last year's competition) kept postponing everything, always had an excuses and eventually started blaming CC for it.
There is no guarantee that the winner won't do the same thing again because the community votes on it.

I would rather have providers running working companys in the jury then someone who doesn't know how to ssh into a vps ...

6 months of free stuff ... I might enter the competition for fun .. if things don't go to well, deadpool after 6 months when the bills should be paid.

There is no guarantee that the winner won't do the same thing again because the community votes on it.

I would rather have providers running working companys in the jury then someone who doesn't know how to ssh into a vps ...

6 months of free stuff ... I might enter the competition for fun .. if things don't go to well, deadpool after 6 months when the bills should be paid.
Liam added a clause to the terms of the competition saying you have 30 days from time of announcement to claim your prize.  At least that way, things should be provisioned and start counting against the 6 months - not just "I'm doing some testing on nodes I've paid for out of pocket and I'll launch after I take 27 vacations and finish my doctorate"

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Liam added a clause to the terms of the competition saying you have 30 days from time of announcement to claim your prize.  At least that way, things should be provisioned and start counting against the 6 months - not just "I'm doing some testing on nodes I've paid for out of pocket and I'll launch after I take 27 vacations and finish my doctorate"
You know it sucks that the last winner didn't do it but I can't blame him. Within < 1 year the market has gone from 2GB plans being over the top to 4GB+ plans becoming the next norm. It isn't like 256GB+ boxes are run of the mill cheap or something, it's just with ChicagoVPS' DB leaking twice now it has shown people just how far you can oversell it and not melt.

All the best to the contestants, you'll need every bit of it. I don't know who the jury will be but I really hope it's not going to favor the popular vote. There's simply way too many people that have no idea what they're doing trying to run companies.

Not to toot my own horn (giggity) but last time there was 2 seasoned hosts in the market and Joel, a business owner that deals in 6 figure contacts fairly often. 

Francisco

jarland

The ocean is digital
Heaven forbid someone's business relies on someone elses business.

And I second that the constant CC bashing is getting old.  Really old. <queue beatingdeadhorse.jpg>

Transparency:  No, I'm not a CC employee, no I don't live in Buffalo.  I live in nebraska, and make sandwiches.
So to clarify, I made one post about that yesterday and two of you feel the need to complain about it today. Remind me who is beating a dead horse. 2 > 1

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
It's becoming increasingly harder to find new providers offering 128MB annual plans.
Why would I want to offer 128MB at a price point where it's not worth it to me, when I can offer 512MB at a price point that makes sense instead?

Every VPS is going to have the same net-abuse risk and support load.  Why go through all of that on a VPS which costs less than $2/month?

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Why would I want to offer 128MB at a price point where it's not worth it to me, when I can offer 512MB at a price point that makes sense instead?

Every VPS is going to have the same net-abuse risk and support load.  Why go through all of that on a VPS which costs less than $2/month?
128MB VPS's still have a lot of uses.  I have one from Buyvm and another from Minivps for DNS, ok they are hardly big money plans at $15/$20 a year but neither get tickets from me about them, very low maintenance for both sides.  So not all have the same abuse/support loads.

If it suits you not to offer that kind of plan then fair enough but there is a market for them none the less.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Good point, but a  lot of people don't need more. And after they are realizing that a small Raspberry Pi with 800Mhz can run their whole website with a load of 0.1 they don't want to spend 5$ a month for something they do not use.

Look to my 96MB vps: One Ruby driven site (+ 2 static sites) with an offloaded MongoDB: 20 concurrent visitors...

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 98304 79424 18880 0 0 31852
-/+ buffers/cache: 47572 50732
Swap: 98304 17284 81020

Why should I buy a 512 MB vps for that?

The 4 GB offers did not kill the brains of all vps users.

amuck-landowner