amuck-landowner

Nightly backups enabled at BuyVM Las Vegas!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Hello everyone!

I'm excited to announce that nightly backups have been enabled in Las Vegas on all 256MB (and larger) OpenVZ plans!

For now, we'll be keeping 7 days of rolling backups but will likely increase this to 14 days.

Snapshots will be enabled later this week once said sync is in place.

I'll be configuring things for NJ today/tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
For free?
It's free on all plans with 256MB or more RAM.

For now it's just OpenVZ until I can put together a better way of taking snapshots on KVM's.

A few users have been asking to see screenshots of how things work so, here ya' go!

It's very simple looking since users don't have to 'buy in' for more features. Everything is either

enabled, or not at all.

nJjpQPu.png

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
yeah but is that really a problem? Don't know about others but Linode lets to take snapshots without shutting down :)
They might be using an LVM snapshot so it's kinda cheating :)

For KVM we'll probably do something similar so KVM snapshots won't require a power down.

OVZ's are a flat filesystem so we don't get to use that kind of magic easily :(

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Heck yeah, this is pretty neat. I've gone one OpenVZ with you and a couple KVMs so I look forward to this being implemented fully.

Keep up the good work.

bauhaus

yeah but is that really a problem? Don't know about others but Linode lets to take snapshots without shutting down :)
As Francisco says, Linode might be using LVM snapshots. As for DO 'the true cloud hosting ' you need to shutdown your vps to take an snapshot.

They might be using an LVM snapshot so it's kinda cheating :)

For KVM we'll probably do something similar so KVM snapshots won't require a power down.

OVZ's are a flat filesystem so we don't get to use that kind of magic easily :(

Francisco
Looking forward to see the BuyVM kmv snapshot solution.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
As Francisco says, Linode might be using LVM snapshots. As for DO 'the true cloud hosting ' you need to shutdown your vps to take an snapshot.

Looking forward to see the BuyVM kmv snapshot solution.
We'll see :) Technically what I have in mind should mean 'instant' snapshots w/o the need to power off. The problem with that is things aren't in a 'quiet' state. You could very well end up with crashed SQL tables because they weren't closed properly.

Francisco

bauhaus

We'll see :) Technically what I have in mind should mean 'instant' snapshots w/o the need to power off. The problem with that is things aren't in a 'quiet' state. You could very well end up with crashed SQL tables because they weren't closed properly.

Francisco
Indeed. Very easy to say, difficult to implement correctly and successfully. I'm no expert, but it is possible. As you say, what you need to consider is that the DB is temporarily locked to create a backup of it. 

The difficult part is how to do it from outside a container. So you know, share the tips :p

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Indeed. Very easy to say, difficult to implement correctly and successfully. I'm no expert, but it is possible. As you say, what you need to consider is that the DB is temporarily locked to create a backup of it. 

The difficult part is how to do it from outside a container. So you know, share the tips :p
Pfft ;)

If it works, i'll be a genius. If it fails, it'll just be another Fran experiment :p

Francisco

amuck-landowner