amuck-landowner

Not quite spam comments

graeme

I see far too many low quality posts from new users. This is an example:

https://vpsboard.com/members/ctrlswitches.4833/

Several very brief comments that add nothing to the discussion, all today, from someone who joined today. just making comments for the sake of it - no spam links or anything, but pointless rubbish. I have no idea what the motive is, but adds a lot of clutter.

graeme

If it was just one person, I would say that was likely, but it keeps happening. I notice it because when it happens because the "new posts" on the right of the home page are all by the same person.

If you have nothing to say, lurk. I have done for a while on most forums I post in. If people have nothing to say, they should not say it!

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
If it was just one person, I would say that was likely, but it keeps happening. I notice it because when it happens because the "new posts" on the right of the home page are all by the same person.

If you have nothing to say, lurk. I have done for a while on most forums I post in. If people have nothing to say, they should not say it!

We have been keeping on eye on it and have removed several spamy posts. :)

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
Does VPSB have the same system like on WHT, where new users need a certain amount of posts before they can post links or have sigs? Cause that'd make sense as to why these new users spit out nonsense posts.

graeme

ChrisM
We have been keeping on eye on it and have removed several spamy posts. :)
That is good to know, but it does have a noticeable effect. Would it be possible to exclude their posts from "new posts" on the front page, which is where they have the most visible effect?

Tyler

Perhaps someone that's wanting to get involved but just doesn't have much to say yet?

@Aldryic C'boas They may be artificially inflating the post count in order to be able to post offers.

I have also heard some forum owners mention that "spam accounts" will engage in the forum conversation for as long as months, but then they will start spamming. Forum spam is very bad and very real.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
@Aldryic C'boas They may be artificially inflating the post count in order to be able to post offers.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not denying what's taking place with those posts. Just (not so) subtly hinting that should there be more 'normal' content present by comparison, the spammy threads would get less notice :p

Tyler

@Aldryic C'boas Definitely the case. There is always a shortage of new or unanswered threads. In a way, it is a good thing, since it shows that the community loves to answer questions and engage in conversation, but in another way, it is bad, since new members often prefer to answer fresh threads.

graeme

I see one provider has posted an offer in a reviews, and been recommended by a number of new members.

graeme

It would be more practical for legitimate members to start posting more engaging content.

The problem is that we are hampered by only saying something when we have something worthwhile to say. We cannot compete with people who make ten comments as soon as they sign up.

Its simply not going to happen with a small forum that ranks fairly well in search results (so it gets spammers attention).

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
The problem is that we are hampered by only saying something when we have something worthwhile to say. We cannot compete with people who make ten comments as soon as they sign up.

Its simply not going to happen with a small forum that ranks fairly well in search results (so it gets spammers attention).

Keep reporting the posts and we'll keep connecting the dots and cleaning their garbage up :)

amuck-landowner