amuck-landowner

Occupation.

NetDepot-KH

Verified Provider
What you going to fill the occupation when the application form is in front of you and you are work for a hosting company. How to describe your job that is make sense for everybody?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Do you mean when applying for another job, when they ask what your past or current occupation is?

I usually leave it intentionally vague and just state that I work in "IT" or "Internet facing IT work" or something similar. Too hard to describe web hosting to some, as their interpretation and understanding of what it is, let alone what virtual servers are, greatly depends on their pre-existing knowledge of computers and the internet.

Jive

Depending on the situation, IT Consultant is a decent all-encompassing and vague title.

I've done (Linux) system administration, support (both web hosting and software/application support) and software dev all under this title.

I guess it depends on what you actually do currently/previously, and what you're applying for.

NetDepot-KH

Verified Provider
Nothing important just would like to fill up the form for my child in the school as there is always have a fields called Parents/Guardian.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I've never considered putting my hosting experience on my resume, maybe I should. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You should compare and know what your title is and if it isn't well defined you should determine what it is called in other shops.

Whatever that best is defined as or called is what should be application or resume.

The supporting body text should have supporting responsibilities and jobs performed in that role that are consistent with the title.

If your job deviated into other roles, such should be isolated in a block under the same job but clearly explained. Sometimes such deviations can be good to omit.

Depending on job and sub-markets it's not uncommon for someone to have multiple resumes honed in on different skillsets vs. their full skillset and experience.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Working for a hosting company does NOT make you and IT Consultant.

The amount of 'IT Consultants' I've come across that have very little knowledge in other areas is quite scary.

Linux Systems Administrator, provided you've not been sitting clicking buttons on various gui's all day (SolusVM, cPanel, Webmin, etc).

Systems Administrator if you've been working with Windows and Linux (but specify)

Systems Engineer would suggest the above as well as the ability to create and manage systems from specification and build to production.

IT Consultant - all of the above including an in depth knowledge of past, current and future technologies. Experience in matching IT systems and processes to a business specific need that delivers both in efficiency and is cost effective to the business. IT Consultants generally have many years of experience at all ends of the spectrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner