amuck-landowner

Online.net: RIP Dedibox SC ! (Fin du support Q3-2016)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Hm.  how is Online.net's network by the way?  I never used it and was never a fan, so I don't know. 

willie

Seems ok to me by the standards of cheap VPS.  Nothing spectacular.  That's getting across the atlantic to here though, and none of the cheap european hosts have been great at that.  I'll running some tests when I get a chance.  I only have a C1 right now, but have been wanting to try a C2.

fm7

Hm.  how is Online.net's network by the way?

It is a solid, huge, diverse, highly-redundant fault-tolerant resilient network. Moreover Online.net is continually upgrading routers and adding capacity, carriers, and peering to cope with increasing traffic.

Mickael Marchand ‏@mmarcha Jan 22
+10gb/s with @RETNnet to sustain traffic growth

Mickael Marchand ‏@mmarcha Jan 25
+100gb/s for TH2 <-> DC3

Mickael Marchand ‏@mmarcha Feb 4
+200gb/s with @TeliaSoneraIC !

Mickael Marchand ‏@mmarcha Feb 16
added 2x100gb/s today, total: 400gb/s with @TeliaSoneraIC

Online.net - Arnaud ‏@online_fr Mar 3
We just replaced @GTTCOMM (12x10G) by a test with @NTT_America (5x10G). Please advice me and @mmarcha in case of anything strange thnx

uWcHlxi.png

From sustained 150Gbps in March 2014 to 550Gbps in February 2016

http://map.online.net/

Regarding the location, the 3 most connected European cities are in fact 4, the so-called FLAP (Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam, Paris).

Said that, IMO it is important to note that Online.net usually groups 45 ToR switches per aggregation switch. Considering you have ~200 Dedicated SC servers per rack (16 x 12 servers per 2U chassis) and Scaleway's C2 density (18 servers per 3U, 12 chassis per rack, again ~200 servers per rack) I think it is unrealistic to expect these servers (and the Scaleway VPSs) having the same network congestion (or "quality") than the regular servers sold by Online.net; However, there is a number of reports of users of Dedibox SC servers claiming they are pushing (sustained) 100Mbps.

Finally, currently I have 16 E3 and 9 SC.with them. Zero power outages, zero network outages, zero hardware issues, zero problems at all since I ordered the first server, Feb 22, 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Dang.  Alright I"ve never actually used Online.net and don't really have a need to, but I've heard some people complain about certain things (granted fairly unreasonable on their parts) and never really cared much.  I'm actually surprised so much traffic goes between OVH and Online.net.  Those links are always working hard! 

fm7

OVH and Online.net peer in Paris via Private Network Interconnect (PNI)

According to Online.net's network map,  80G PNI peering.

According to OVH docs, there is (also?) 90G PNI peering with Free;

BTW Online.net/Scaleway is AS12876, Free/Iliad is AS12322 neither of them reannounce the other AS to the Internet.

[ Online.net is a subsidiary of French telecommunications group Iliad, the third-biggest operator with 24 percent of the broadband market (Free Telecom, 6 million subscribers); 17 percent of mobile (Free Mobile, 12 million subscribers); 96,000 km of long-distance optical fiber network; 2015 annual sales of 4.4 billion euros. More here ]

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner