amuck-landowner

OpenVZ Command Blocking

RTGHM

I've been searching and can't find an answer:

OpenVZ, I spin up a virtual machine for a friend, now I want to prevent them from running bash scripts, any way to prevent that so something like "sh script.sh" doesn't execute?

It's to prevent abuse.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
What you want is a jailed shell, not a VPS.

You may wish to re-evaluate your definition of friend if you don't trust them.

RTGHM

What you want is a jailed shell, not a VPS.

You may wish to re-evaluate your definition of friend if you don't trust them.
A friend whom has known to run abusive scripts that hog memory.

I was hoping to be able to spin up a openvz container and then set security so items can't be executed, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Well, that's not someone I would willingly give resources to.  But preferences on acquaintances aside, you're still looking at a jailed shell rather than a full-on VPS.  General rule of thumb - if they have root, you can't really restrict what they do.

RTGHM

Well, that's not someone I would willingly give resources to.  But preferences on acquaintances aside, you're still looking at a jailed shell rather than a full-on VPS.  General rule of thumb - if they have root, you can't really restrict what they do.
Alright thanks, any quick tutorials on how to configure that on CentOS?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
A friend whom has known to run abusive scripts that hog memory.

I was hoping to be able to spin up a openvz container and then set security so items can't be executed, etc.
OVZ would be OK with that assuming you put a hard cap on RAM.

If he does other abusive things (DDOS, etc) then as Aldryic said, a jail is likely the best solution.

Francisco

Kayaba Akihiko

OVZ would be OK with that assuming you put a hard cap on RAM.If he does other abusive things (DDOS, etc) then as Aldryic said, a jail is likely the best solution.Francisco
If he is ddosing people you probably should get him arrested and not give him anything at all but to each their own i suppose

RTGHM

If he is ddosing people you probably should get him arrested and not give him anything at all but to each their own i suppose
DDoSing implies more than 1 machine doing the attack, therefore it's just dosing.

He doesn't do any dosing that I'm aware of - regardless I'll keep a close eye on it. He just runs abuse, buggy scripts which hog a ton of memory and slow the server down.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner