amuck-landowner

OpenVZ + KVM

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Not sure if I'm late to the party, but they just posted this link on twitter.

http://openvz.org/QEMU

Seems they are adding QEMU/KVM into the OpenVZ kernel/system.

What's everyone thoughts?, there was another post above libvirt as well.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Looking interesting. I believe there is something called 'Virtuozzo Core' being talked about at the end of last year which was similar.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Looking interesting. I believe there is something called 'Virtuozzo Core' being talked about at the end of last year which was similar.
From what I understand that is what the new OpenVZ will be, they are using one Kernel for both OpenVZ (Free) and Virtuozzo instead of having features in the Virtuozzo kernel that is not available to OpenVZ, with Virtuizzo selling point being the GUI.

Might be interesting if they add KVM support into Virtuozzo as would make a quite a powerful control panel not just for OpenVZ containers.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
KVM and Virtuozzo / OpenVZ are two completely different things. However OpenVZ w/ QEMU might bring some interesting features similar to KVM.

dcdan

Verified Provider
Not sure I fully understand this concept. We were able to run KVM VPS on OpenVZ kernel for a very long time (with no changes to the OS), how is this different?

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Not sure I fully understand this concept. We were able to run KVM VPS on OpenVZ kernel for a very long time (with no changes to the OS), how is this different?
It's more OpenVZ adding the official support into the kernel for it, and making more use of Libvirt.

amuck-landowner