amuck-landowner

OpenVZ rescue console

SpeedBus

Verified Provider
I was looking for a sane way to get this done but haven't been able to find anything (yes, I did google). What would be the best way to get a OpenVZ rescue console working like how SolusVM and Virtualizor have ?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I should really look into this also. As much as I like the SolusVM SSH wrapper method, it's about time I come up with my own solution. I'll update this thread if I figure something out (ideally if somebody has a good method please post it here so I can be lazy). :)

Mohammed H

Hello,

this is just an idea not sure if its a secure method or not (it can be extended as long as you know bash) :

on Node :

useradd -d console-user
passwd console-user
create file /home/console-user/enter.sh with below content :

#!/bin/bash
exec sudo /usr/sbin/vzctl enter Container-ID
now add root powers to that user to execute vzctl via sudo

visudo
and add

console-user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/vzctl
last thing

chmod 755 /home/console-user/enter.sh
usermod -s /home/console-user/enter.sh console-user
now when you login with console-user you will enter to VPS with Container-Id (specified in our enter.sh) as root .

Highest Regards

Mohammed H

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Does anyone have a guide for installing vncterm? I looked at the GitHub repo but couldn't find any guides.

@Mohammed H Sounds interesting, will test it soon.

lbft

Don't forget that the user can do other stuff that you don't necessarily want with ssh, e.g. tunnelling traffic through the server with SSH port forwarding or SOCKS proxying (including bypassing bandwidth limits, obscuring the source of attack traffic and accessing any resources on your internal network that are restricted to the server's IP.)

So make sure, if you go that way, that you properly configure your SSH daemon so that console users don't have access to anything you don't want (e.g. AllowTcpForwarding no, etc.)

Flapadar

Verified Provider
Hello,

this is just an idea not sure if its a secure method or not (it can be extended as long as you know bash) :

on Node :

useradd -d console-user
passwd console-user
create file /home/console-user/enter.sh with below content :

#!/bin/bash
exec sudo /usr/sbin/vzctl enter Container-ID
now add root powers to that user to execute vzctl via sudo

visudo
and add

console-user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/vzctl
last thing

chmod 755 /home/console-user/enter.sh
usermod -s /home/console-user/enter.sh console-user
now when you login with console-user you will enter to VPS with Container-Id (specified in our enter.sh) as root .

Highest Regards

Mohammed H
I don't see that being a secure method unfortunately. 

chroot jail may be worth investigating, though there's also lots of issues with it too... :/ 

Mohammed H

I don't see that being a secure method unfortunately. 

chroot jail may be worth investigating, though there's also lots of issues with it too... :/ 
Hi there,

I already stated that . but still I didn't find anyway to exploit it till now. the only issue I can think of is if vzctl itself have privilege escalation problem . and that is vendor problem not the mentioned idea problem.

@lbft very true . thanks

Highest Regards

Mohammed H

Flapadar

Verified Provider
Hi there,

I already stated that . but still I didn't find anyway to exploit it till now. the only issue I can think of is if vzctl itself have privilege escalation problem . and that is vendor problem not the mentioned idea problem.

@lbft very true . thanks

Highest Regards

Mohammed H
The main issue I see is that the user logging in - has permissions to run vzctl as superuser. If there's even the slightest flaw -- they've now got full access to all clients on the node's VPS.

Mohammed H

@Flapadar

I checked the c code of (vzctl enter) its using linux fork() function to fork a new pid with its own allocated memory.

I can assume its very safe to use it since the ssh session will die once that pid dies or exit. there is no way I'm aware of to exit that fork and back to node as the logged user and have the ability to use vzctl to get full access.

also I tried many scenarios (if container does not exist, if container is down, if container is suspended, etc ...) the ssh session will just die when there is no fork . (thanks to bash exec) .

Highest Regards

Mohammed H

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I was playing around with this tonight and the best I could come up with was an SSH wrapper (similar to SolusVM's and @Mohammed H's suggestion).

Here's the code in case anybody wants to take a look:

/usr/bin/openvz

Code:
#!/bin/bash

USERNAME=`whoami`
CTID=`whoami | sed -r 's/^.{4}//'`
CTCONF="/etc/vz/conf/$CTID.conf"

if [ $CTID -gt 100 ] && [ -f "$CTCONF" ]; then
  /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/openvzenter $CTID
else
  echo -e "Invalid VPS."
  exit 0