amuck-landowner

Ordering turnoffs?

OnePoundWebHosting

Verified Provider
OK, you've decided on your plan, location and a few providers.

Upon viewing the providers websites what are your pet hates and turnoffs likely to sway your decision?

I buy more than a  few VPS for external monitoring and my pet hates are:

1. Websites that have a nice frontend but then take you to a default WHMCS setup when you go to order.

2. ns1, ns2 & root password boxes that are still visable on the order page.

3. Any type of music, sounds, forced videos.

What are yours?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
1.) XGB of RAM for too little money. I want my providers to eat and be able to afford to grow and pay staff a wage that isn't shit.

2.) Default WHMCS install.

3.) 'Live Chat' that is always offline/away. Not hard to make it invisible if no one is online so it doesn't display on the web-page.

4.) Private WhoIS

5.) Heavy hackforums presence. Say what you want about HF, but generally speaking I am unsure if I want my neighbours sharing the same IP block as me to be big HF users.

Mainly those things.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
This certainly,  along with valid contact address details on website.

Do not care if you are a sole trader etc but don't try to be invisible
Plus you can get a PO Box for like, $60/YR. At least here in the States. Really no reason to have a private WhoIS. Besides, some people still want to mail in checks and not use PayPal.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
1. Policies that suck... Often boilerplate non sense that was boosted from elsewhere.  Where is the ToS and AUP?

2. RAM for free.  Come on now, you aren't selling me real resources.

3. Large disk (i.e. 100's of GBs worth)... Do you really run huge RAIDS or SAN?

4. Lack of company info.  Who am I buying from?  A 16 year old in moms suburban basement?

5. Lack of company legal info... Is this a real company with bondability, liability, insurance, credit worthiness, etc?

6. Sketchy to no details on the upstreams and real facilities.

7. Lack of network IP and speed test files.

8. Speed test files that are empty compressable data --- yeah throughput might be right, but why the bogus files?

9. Whois data that is private... Real companies with customer data shouldn't be hiding.

10. Lack of experience, bio, relativity.  Most VPS companies smell like two gaming teens on an adverture.

Tons of pretty websites.  Wanna-hosts seem to have high web design taste to mask the BS factor.   Shrink wrapped shit still smells.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Yeah I know, I'm just jokin' around ;)

Some big ones I've always hated were ripped TOS/AUP's that said hosts never even read. The AUP/TOS would document a refund policy and when asked to abide by it the host would turn tail and edit the TOS/AUP.

Templates suck but some at least try to fix them up. It's just too common, though, to find hosts that are packed full of anchor tags that don't go anywhere. 'Shared hosting!' => http://summerho.st/#

Francisco

blergh

Verified Provider
  • Shitty marketing-talk
  • Typos
  • No point of contact
  • Names that remind of shaving-cream.
  • Claiming 24/7 support when it's obvious it's not true
  • Unrealistic resoucres
  • Lyron Foster
  • Urpad

RiotSecurity

OK, you've decided on your plan, location and a few providers.

Upon viewing the providers websites what are your pet hates and turnoffs likely to sway your decision?

I buy more than a  few VPS for external monitoring and my pet hates are:

1. Websites that have a nice frontend but then take you to a default WHMCS setup when you go to order.

2. ns1, ns2 & root password boxes that are still visable on the order page.

3. Any type of music, sounds, forced videos.

What are yours?
Turnoffs: Colocrossing

Turnons: Non-USA countries

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
^--- not that again.  Can't we all just have a group hug like in daycare?

"Turnons: Non-USA countries"

This has been a big plus lately with all the rampant spying unearthed.  Thank the heavens for whistleblowers, insiders, and other folks who sacrifice their livielihoods and well being to tell the truth.

Now the problem is if within the US and tunneling out to abroad, you are now fully on NSA allowed to spy territory.  You depend fully on crypto and evasion to mask your activity.  It's a logistics nightmare of sorts and the crypto cannot be anything USA endorsed or it's likely compromiseable.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
  • Shitty marketing-talk
  • Typos
  • No point of contact
  • Names that remind of shaving-cream.
  • Claiming 24/7 support when it's obvious it's not true
  • Unrealistic resoucres
  • Lyron Foster
  • Urpad
HAH LYRON~

That guy was my hero. His blog was the funniest shit I had read in such a long time.

I'm not sure what benefit it is to a company to lie about support coverage? At one of my previous jobs they advertised "10 minute support reply time SLA's!" but all it was, was the moronic owner would reply 'Thank you, Ive forwarded this to our support staff to look into'.

The ticket would end up sitting for 8 - 12 hours since I'd have passed out from working all day.

Francisco

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I'm not sure what benefit it is to a company to lie about support coverage? At one of my previous jobs they advertised "10 minute support reply time SLA's!" but all it was, was the moronic owner would reply 'Thank you, Ive forwarded this to our support staff to look into'.

The ticket would end up sitting for 8 - 12 hours since I'd have passed out from working all day.
Geeze.  Sounds like somewhere I used to work.  :p

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I rely 100% on reviews and reputation.

I can think of a well-respected LEB provider that has a stock WHMCS and a wiki that doesn't even have a logo in the corner :)  I'm a customer and have been for several years.

On the other hand, AlienVPS has a beautiful site but crappy service from what I've heard, so I've never considered them.

However, I agree that most of what's posted here highly correlates to bad hosts.

bizzard

Most of the above ones, especially details about the company in website and the pre-sales chat, and reviews affects my decisions. Right now, non-US locations and companies feels like a Turn-On.

But, even after all that, I have landed up with few hosts, with poor service. May be its personal to me, but I won't be ordering from them again.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I forgot my favorite, lousy payment options a/k/a we do not acceptable PayPal.

Often these companies in fact to somehow accept PayPal through some third party processor that is quite annoying and long winded to actually complete the transaction.

amuck-landowner