amuck-landowner

"Overprovisioned" dedicated server -- what to do?

NodeworksIX

I recently ordered a dedicated server from a provider and it was advertised at 16GB RAM.  When the server was deployed I was overjoyed to see it actually had 24GB RAM as I had planned to upgrade it further down the line when I had more money to pump into it.

My question is, do I stay honest and inform them of the mistake, knowing that they might remove the RAM?  Or do I just keep quiet and enjoy my free upgrade knowing they might spot it in the future and remove it?

I feel that if I told them they probably wouldn't remove it as they seem pretty cool.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I say go ahead and tell them. They'll probably leave it. If not, then you be getting what you're paying for, and in fact what you expected and were completely happy with until you realized you had more. But be sure to use smilies in your e-mail, like this:

[XYZ Dedis] Support,

I just noticed that the server I ordered came with 24GB of RAM, when I had ordered it with 16GB. I certainly don't mind, so don't feel like you have to fix this on my account :p But I just thought I should let you know. Thanks for your help so far getting this online, I'm sure it will be a great server no matter how much RAM it has. :)

Thanks,

[You]

Last edited by a moderator:

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Tell them, same thing applies if you get less then what you ordered.

A customer that is honest and shows good faith will be treated differently by the provider if something comes up in the future.

They might include it as a free upgrade right now if you tell them or try to make you pay for it later on when they find out.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Tell them, same thing applies if you get less then what you ordered.
A customer that is honest and shows good faith will be treated differently by the provider if something comes up in the future.

They might include it as a free upgrade right now if you tell them or try to make you pay for it later on when they find out.
Well said. If you treat your provider right, they'll treat you right. I don't know how long you've been with this provider @NodeworksIX, but since it's long enough that you've gotten the impression that they're "pretty cool", then you're probably already on their list of customers that are "pretty cool" if you've been honest so far. Keep that up and they'll happily bend over backwards for you in the future. If not on the matter of the RAM, then at least in support and possibly other discounts later.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner