amuck-landowner

OVH 1GB ddos protected VPS, Quebec

willie

I suspect it's one of their "hosting" servers (http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/) and the

different cpuid in /proc/cpuinfo is a virtualization illusion, but who knows.  Here is /proc/cpuinfo:

processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 16
model        : 2
model name    : AMD Opteron Processor 4284                 
stepping    : 3
cpu MHz        : 3000.000
cache size    : 2048 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 4
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 0
initial apicid    : 0
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 5
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc unfair_spinlock pni cx16 x2apic popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
bogomips    : 6000.00
TLB size    : 1536 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

markjcc

I suspect it's one of their "hosting" servers (http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/) and the

different cpuid in /proc/cpuinfo is a virtualization illusion, but who knows.  Here is /proc/cpuinfo:

processor    : 0

vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD

cpu family    : 16

model        : 2

model name    : AMD Opteron Processor 4284                 

stepping    : 3

cpu MHz        : 3000.000

cache size    : 2048 KB

physical id    : 0

siblings    : 4

core id        : 0

cpu cores    : 4

apicid        : 0

initial apicid    : 0

fpu        : yes

fpu_exception    : yes

cpuid level    : 5

wp        : yes

flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc unfair_spinlock pni cx16 x2apic popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw

bogomips    : 6000.00

TLB size    : 1536 4K pages

clflush size    : 64

cache_alignment    : 64

address sizes    : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:
Straight from newegg :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113022

willie

I notice OVH Canada now has its 2016 line of VPS's available (they've been available in their France locations for a while).  These look quite a bit better than the old ones.  They seem to have replaced the slabbed OpenVZ with KVM OpenStack on the economy line, switched to Intel processors and SSD, increased memory and raised prices slightly.  So for $3.50/mo you get a 2GB KVM vps with 10GB of SSD and DDOS protection, which is seriously competitive even with VPSboard lower tier providers.  The "Cloud" vps line is also upgraded and uses NVMe (Ceph) storage that is very fast.

I'm involved with a low activity site now hosted on Amazon, that I might suggest migrating to OVH.  I was satisfied with the performance of the old OVH vps and the most annoying thing about it was the reboots.  It will be interesting to see if these new ones are more reliable.

Here's the SSD VPS that replace the "classic" series: http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-ssd.xml

And here's the more upscale "Cloud" product: http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud.xml

There are some benchmarks and comparisons against the old versions at the bottom of each of those pages.

Overall this seems like interesting news.  The Scaleway.com ARM dedicated servers at 3 euro/month (France location) point in another direction where things are going.

Last edited by a moderator:

reckless

Does anyone have any benchmarks of the new Cloud VPS 2016 $8.99 server? or even the regular SSD 2016 $3.49 one - thanks!

willie

Matt, thanks for those Petabyet measurements.  It looks like they got the price wrong (says $4.49 instead of $3.49) but the other stuff is interesting.

Reckless, there are some cpu measurements on the OVH pages.  Basically what you'd expect given the processor models.  The interesting feature of the Cloud series IMHO is the Ceph distributed file system, like RAID except spread across multiple machines on a LAN.  I think the idea is that if your node crashes with HW failure, your VM can immediately rebooted on another one, using the distributed data.

Matt, can you tell if the SSD VPS has ipv6?  How many addresses?  Thanks.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
The price is right, it's $4.49 CAD. Doesn't seem to have IPv6 yet but there's an empty lable for it in the control panel... so eventually?

willie

Oh I see.  It said Pasadena CA so I figured USD.  If it's your post you might update to say it's CAD.  Too bad about the ipv6 and unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a way to buy more disk space, but it looks like a terrific deal anyway.  Thanks for the info.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The interesting feature of the Cloud series IMHO is the Ceph distributed file system, like RAID except spread across multiple machines on a LAN.  I think the idea is that if your node crashes with HW failure, your VM can immediately rebooted on another one, using the distributed data.

In theory it can be immediately rebooted, and Leaseweb who use a similar storage backend advertises that their cloud platform is fully redundant.  The reality is 100% uptime is a fantasy: Leaseweb's storage backend had major problems last week which resulted in almost 2 full days of downtime (see http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1509651 ,they did  give 3 months credit for the downtime but...).

The Leaseweb ad promo:

Quote said:
Fully redundant platform To maximize reliability and ensure continuity, all cloud platform components are implemented in a redundant setup. Our designs allow for hardware failure of any network component, hypervisor, storage system or management system – with minimal impact on your virtual server. In case of hardware failure, our cloud platform will simply restart your server on a different machine – without human intervention

reckless

I ended up buying the $3.49 OVH SSD VPS 1 2016 yesterday just to test it out (was going to go for the Cloud VPS but decided to wait on it...already have a sweet 2 core/2GB Leaseweb VPS for $5.97/month that is amazing). So far I'm very impressed with it's performance and I'm hoping the stability/uptime of it will be good too. It feels really snappy! I have put a single production site on it just to test it out and monitor the reliability over a few months or so.

This is only the 2nd service I have ever purchased from OVH, the first service was their OVH Classic 1 VPS that I purchased back in 2014 and I canceled it within days because the performance was terrible and had many reboots. This new VPS 2016 line is WAYYYYY better then their old ones so far.

I did a few benchmarks which I already posted on LowEndTalk but I figured I would post them here too incase anyone was interested!

GeekBench3: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3402546

ServerBear: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2015/09/09/UZat48TLYJ2J8189

CPU model : Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge)
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2394.444 MHz
Total amount of ram : 1962 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime : 8 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 12.0MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 3.99MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 11.5MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.58MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.6MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.9MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.29MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 10.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.58MB/s
I/O speed : 434 MB/s

root@ovh:~# ioping . -c 10
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=1 time=349 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=2 time=480 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=3 time=435 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=4 time=463 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=5 time=505 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=6 time=463 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=7 time=462 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=8 time=534 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=9 time=465 us
4 KiB from . (ext3 /dev/vda1): request=10 time=432 us

--- . (ext3 /dev/vda1) ioping statistics ---
10 requests completed in 9.01 s, 2.18 k iops, 8.51 MiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 349 us / 458 us / 534 us / 46 us

root@ovh:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge)
stepping : 1
microcode : 0x1
cpu MHz : 2394.444
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm xsaveopt vnmi ept fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid
bogomips : 4788.88
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Anyone know if these offers come with an uptime SLA? Of course, my VPS went down about 1.5 hours ago (perfect timing).

I found https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-cloud/discover/sla.xml but that's about it. Quickly skimmed https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/support/termsofservice/ but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

$4.49+ VPS-SSD line: no SLA

$11.99+ VPS-Cloud line: 99.99% SLA (see below)

Quote said:
The SLA is OVH's commitment to service availability. This doesn't include planned and scheduled maintenance. 

The VPS platform is proven to be stable and highly available. When you rent one of our virtual private servers, we guarantee the continunity of your business activity. 

In the event that we do not fulfil our commitment, we will undertake to reimburse 5% of the monthly price per hour of delay, up to a maximum of 100% of the monthly amount for the product. 

This SLA only applies to models in the VPS Cloud range.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
So... I rebooted the VPS and still couldn't ping it from anywhere, but could reach it through KVM console. Came back up on its own about two hours later. No config changes on my part before or after the outage. 3 hours and 11 minutes of downtime.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The SSD VPS's are now also available on the OVH public cloud.  Same price (2GB/€2.99, 4GB €5.99,  8GB €11.99monthly) and initial configuration as the SSD 2016 line but hourly billing (€0.008 hr for the 2GB) is available and they're using the OpenStack panel instead of the VPS Panel.  The current main benefits of the VPS-SSD OpenStack version over the SSD 2016 VPS version is access to the OpenStack API, Backups (snapshots), and the ability to add additional disk volumes (10GB-10TB,  choice of SATA or SSD, pricing).  Private networking will also be available on these when OVH launches it on the public cloud.  Choice of FR (Gravelines, Strasbourg) or CA (Beauharnois)

Scroll down to the "also available" section: https://www.ovh.ie/cloud/instances/

Fw8oCHm.png

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Can you provide us with the specifications of the node you're in? I'm curious about what processor they use.

They mask the processor models but on their website they say they use E5's.  The OpenStack SSD instances are 2.4 MHz (which based on their current product line is probably a 2 x E5-2630v3).

amuck-landowner