amuck-landowner

PayPal USA Policy Changes Announced 4/30: Intangible Items Covered Starting 7/1

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This change will up the complexity for PayPal support and team that reviews the disputes.

I am waging a bet here, that PayPal will start getting more vicious with fraud and repeat bad actors on either side of the transaction flow.

I mean no one likes scammers - be they a provider or a customer.

I recall days past with PayPal being overly anxious to freeze accounts and six month freeze money.   I think we might see some of that or outright booting folks from PayPal coming soon.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Personally I don't think Paypal's dispute people are up to the difficulty of dealing with these sort of services.... Not looking forward to the inevitable abuse of this really.

I am sure there are many industries where this will be a win, hell even some scammy providers in this very industry for one. But the number of bad actors (from spammers, to botnets, to people who just don't care and launch chargebacks/disputes 3-6 months after receiving service) in this industry is astronomically high.

Fortunately we don't get too many chargebacks, nor do we have as many issues as many VPS providers. I certainly don't envy them....

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
Paypal regarding disputes is a strange beast - i've seen them double dip, deducting multiple times and caught them on it and got them to fix it - sometimes disputes open multiple times some how and you gotta watch paypal close on those. 

Having paypal get involved for disputes, covering more things to involve themselves is only going to add more work load and mistakes for them, and pass on to us (the vendor) with costs through abritrary charge back pass throughs and fees.

Bruce

Verified Provider
is the answer to 1) moderate new accounts to monthly-only, or 2) get the customer to confirm they are happy with the service each month for a few months. that way a chargeback after 179 days will have some evidence that the customer was happy for 5 out of the first 6 months of service. an overhead, but could be automated

Kephael

It was already possible to win practically all of these disputes by filing a chargeback with your credit card issuer. This will only impact children paying with their PayPal balances that they received via "donations". 

mitgib

Verified Provider
It was already possible to win practically all of these disputes by filing a chargeback with your credit card issuer. This will only impact children paying with their PayPal balances that they received via "donations". 
This is about the most close minded statement I've seen here in a long while.  Chargebacks with the CC issuer will get you banned from PayPal pretty quick I would imagine, and as for kids and donation, well some of us in the 50+ club use PayPal for everything possible as I do not want credit, I do not need credit and I can get 1% cash back with my PayPal debt card.  I am limited to $3,000 a day spending limit with it, but I get about $75 a month rebate each month just paying vendors I would pay anyway.  The only thing I pay from my PayPal balance is my ad here.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
is the answer to 1) moderate new accounts to monthly-only, or 2) get the customer to confirm they are happy with the service each month for a few months. that way a chargeback after 179 days will have some evidence that the customer was happy for 5 out of the first 6 months of service. an overhead, but could be automated
1. Definitely this change stands to run afoul with the annual buyers.

2. Confirmation of satisfied customer will be  a hard one to gauge and query for input.  Conceptually, yes, something should be done of this nature if providers or those selling are to survive the upcoming inevitable mess storm.

Well some of us in the 50+ club use PayPal for everything possible as I do not want credit, I do not need credit and I can get 1% cash back with my PayPal debt card.  I am limited to $3,000 a day spending limit with it, but I get about $75 a month rebate each month just paying vendors I would pay anyway.  The only thing I pay from my PayPal balance is my ad here.
That's pretty much my story too. I've never like banks and the bullshit around such.  Necessary evil for some, but not many - nothing near percentage of folks that self duped into credit.

mitgib

Verified Provider
2. Confirmation of satisfied customer will be  a hard one to gauge and query for input.  Conceptually, yes, something should be done of this nature if providers or those selling are to survive the upcoming inevitable mess storm.
Yeah, I don't see an after the fact message ever taking hold, but like many colo's demand, an auth form to use a Credit Card I can see coming to use PayPal, and actually think I might add PayPal to the list for Dedicated servers and colo space like I already do for Credit Cards.

Now, for long established customers I cannot see asking for this at all.  It's just rude, but I'm sure some will.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I'm not entirely thrilled about this. I want to know that PayPal will take note of people who frequently open disputes and have a tendency to side against them. If you repeatedly sign up for vendors that you so desperately need a refund for that you continually report fraud to the payment gateway, you should be the one suffering, because it should be evident that the common factor is you.

Last edited by a moderator:

WSWD

Verified Provider
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't make a bit of difference. 

If you want to get a refund, you just say your card/PayPal account/etc. was stolen, and that's the end of it.  You're going to be in for a hell of a surprise if you think this is somehow going to stop people from getting undue refunds.

Kephael

This is about the most close minded statement I've seen here in a long while.  Chargebacks with the CC issuer will get you banned from PayPal pretty quick I would imagine, and as for kids and donation, well some of us in the 50+ club use PayPal for everything possible as I do not want credit, I do not need credit and I can get 1% cash back with my PayPal debt card.  I am limited to $3,000 a day spending limit with it, but I get about $75 a month rebate each month just paying vendors I would pay anyway.  The only thing I pay from my PayPal balance is my ad here.
You will not have issues with your PayPal account's standing as long as you first attempt to resolve an issue through PayPal's normal dispute procedure. Years ago this was not the case.

From the PayPal user agreement:

13.7 Relationship between PayPal’s protection programs and Chargebacks. Credit card Chargeback rights, if they apply, are broader than PayPal’s protection programs. Chargebacks may cover unsatisfactory items even if they do not qualify as SNAD, and may cover intangible items. You may pursue a Dispute/Claim with PayPal, or you may contact your credit card company and pursue your Chargeback rights. You may not pursue both at the same time or seek a double recovery. If you have an open Dispute or Claim with PayPal, and you also file a Chargeback with your credit card company, PayPal will close your Dispute or Claim, and you will have to rely solely on your Chargeback rights.
If PayPal does not make a final decision on your Claim until after your credit card issuer's deadline for filing a Chargeback, and because of our delay you recover less than the full amount you would have been entitled to recover from the credit card issuer, we will reimburse you for the remainder of your loss (minus any amount you have already recovered from the Seller).

Before contacting your card issuer or filing a Dispute with PayPal, you should contact the Seller to resolve your issue in accordance with the Seller’s return policy as stated on their auction or website.

dcdan

Verified Provider
In our experience Paypal is quite random at these disputes anyway. We only win about 25-30% of them (and then we refund half of that anyway). Even when we mention "Intangible" in the dispute it does not affect the "ruling". Even in cases when the customer is obviously not playing nice and proof is provided.

To my knowledge we never tried calling Paypal about these but that would not very efficient on $5/year plans...

So in a way I welcome this, at least now we *know* we're screwed no matter what  :)

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Been fighting a dispute from a customer who forgot to cancel their service, on an account with an account balance (which is non-refundable anyway). From the UK so has intangible items covered.

Lets see if Paypal can understand this at all.

/rant, seriously. What so difficult about:

10_36_40.png

/endrant

amuck-landowner