amuck-landowner

POLL: SSL for vpsBoard. Optional or forced site-wide?

peterw

One problem that might cause some things to break is that you allow users to embed images from external sites, that do not have to be secure.

This problem could be solved by making them upload them to vpsBoard or making it be from a https enabled server.
True. Want to upload my avatar on a secure page.

willie

My main concern has been performance, but I am hearing it shouldn't be an issue....

I just seriously never realized how urgent the matter was to everyone, so I had no problem delaying it until I set aside a day to do the migration. But I see now that it's been brought up, it's very important that it gets done ASAP. I'll do it tonight after work.
As one of the more vocal supporters, I don't think it's terribly urgent, in the sense of "OMG drop everything and do it right now".  I think it's important as a general practice and as a statement about who we are.  But we've done without it for many months and a few more days won't make enough difference to be worth causing a lot of extra hassle for you.  Anything reasonably timely is fine.  Relax!  We all appreciate the work you are doing for this site.  There's no need to get overextended.

There shouldn't be much performance issue especially with more recent OpenSSL's that use the AESNI hardware for the bulk encryption.  Encryption is fast these days.  Gzip encoding costs much more cpu than encryption.  One request if I may: be sure to configure the SSL for forward secrecy, i.e. using one of the DHE-prefixed cipher suites.  There are still some subtler configuration issues after that, but DHE goes a long way. 

Last edited by a moderator:

eva2000

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
WTF is that?

It's the damn placeholder head image for those that do not have an avatar.

That needs to be removed and hosted internally --- if it is something we have control over internally and not some gravatar doing it.

Gravatar, yeah, I've started blocking them manually on my end.

The SSL stuff, definitely need a wildcard domain level SSL cert and they aren't low end money.   $50 a year minimum I'd guess.

Unsure what/how x4b handles SSL, but I'd be looking up there first before investing time/money on certs.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
yB2i56a.jpg

Second SSL ordered. Email verification? Nope. Meta tag verification? Nope, didn't work. TXT record verification? Nope, didn't work.

Y'all gonna have to live without SSL for another day.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Yea, email doesn't like you... They're working on it... I'll have it for you soon.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
People shouldn't have problems with it... If they do, then they need to contact their ISP... There should be no reason an ISP is slowing traffic down to SSL protected websites. Hell, anything you do financially is protected by an SSL... So, why slow you down?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've not forgotten about this. Finally got the cert delivered today, but some kinks on x4b's end need ironed out to allow it to be used properly across the subdomains needed.

I'm hoping it'll be ready soon, however.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Is that...SSL? :D

Looks like a single broken link but the rest is serving up nicely.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm working on it.

Is it just me or are the iframes acting wonky? In Chrome, I see the ads. In Firefox, I see an vpsBoard error page. Weird.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well it's all green and sexy in Chrome, but unsure if it's working properly in Firefox yet... it should be, but for some reason on my end this is how it appears and I've got no green https:// in the address bar:

FpD3thP.png

amuck-landowner