amuck-landowner

Postfix + Mandrill Bounce Notifications

sleddog

I'm experimentally using Mandrill as an SMTP relayhost for my Postfix setup.

At the moment I'm stuck at understanding how bounce notifications work.

• User Joe has his desktop mail app configured to send via my Postfix
  • He composes a message, making a typo in the "To" address, and sends it
  • My Postfix receives it and relays it to Mandrill
  • Mandrill tries to deliver the message, that fails. A bounce event is visible in the Mandrill web interface.
My Postfix knows nothing about the bounce:

Apr 7 11:40:54 mailserv postfix/smtp[8555]: 197A04DC004: to=<[email protected]>, relay=smtp.mandrillapp.com[54.71.32.218]:587, delay=1.9, delays=1/0.04/0.58/0.24, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 694A32C0342)
Apr 7 11:40:54 mailserv postfix/qmgr[27068]: 197A04DC004: removed

This shows that the message was successful sent to (and accepted by) Mandrill. Nothing else is logged.

Shouldn't there be a DSN message from Mandill back to my Postfix, saying the message bounced? How is Joe supposed to know that his message bounced?

I've been googling this for an hour, and I'm stumped. Any help appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fixidixi

The concept is that mandrill wont send úr mail right away (smtp time) instead its adding it to its own mail queue. So,its api is only going tó return an error if the mail wont even be accepted into the queue. you can check out about webhooks reject

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
The concept is that mandrill wont send úr mail right away (smtp time) instead its adding it to its own mail queue. So,its api is only going tó return an error if the mail wont even be accepted into the queue. you can check out about webhooks reject
exactly. Mandrill is not designed to be a mail forwarder. They enabled SMTP so your App can continue to use SMTP methods for legacy, not to serve as an intermediary mail server.

amuck-landowner