amuck-landowner

Power Outage: Residential

willie

I don't have any special stuff for a power outage.  If the power goes out, it goes out, I can live without home internet for a while.  I have enough flashlights and batteries in the house (not particularly for power outage purposes) that I can get around ok, and I have a powerbank thingie that can charge my phone, and I guess I can use mobile data (I have a bottom-rung data plan that I almost never use) if I have to get online for something and the mobile data / phone network isn't out.  And I have a cig lighter 12vdc inverter in my car that I guess could charge my laptop.  So if it were a localized outage, I could take the laptop to a wifi place (or to the office where I work).  If it was a widespread outage I guess internet would be the least of my problems. 

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Captain's Log: Hour 8.

Still without power.  Packed everything in the dark.  I found a candle and a flash light.  It seems only the residential areas do not have power (commercial areas and high density zones do have power (e.g. apartment complexes)).  

Yep.  Life is "grand".  

happel

I have a flashlight and my laptop has a battery in it :).

Power outages are not very common here in the Netherlands, last power outage I had is over 15 years ago.. So it's not really something I'm prepared for ;-).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
For what it's worth, the power-grid in America is pretty dated and could use a massive overhaul. Any word from the power company on when it'll return to normal?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have a cig lighter 12vdc inverter in my car that I guess could charge my laptop. 
This is a great idea.   Every car should have a 12V to wall power inverter.  Only thing to note here is the inverter you likely have (most are) isn't pure sine wave.  So it is not great power and can break/cause issues with equipment.  Splurge for a pure sine wave inverter then life is perfect :)

I have power options (including a stack of AA and AAA batteries for when things go wrong.   That can be anything from power outage to me tripping a breaker to a line down on property.

Folks should look into a low power portable radio also.  I am fond of the Eton older models - no digital display.   AM/FM/shortwave bands + hand crank + battery pack build in + AA batteries on board for redundancy + power output taps (probably useless --- but intended for cell phones).  Helps to pass time / keep informed with some talk radio locally or music or whatever.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Bank of UPS's and a power-pack that's used to jump-start cars. It has an inverter on it so I have quite a bit of power available when it's needed. We get power cuts here perhaps twice a year and it's always in the evening. It's amusing when everyone leaves the house to see what's going on and only our house still has lights and a TV on :)

Zach

Verified Provider
UPS to keep a light on (single 60w lamp) and charge cell phones until we can get a generator going

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
One of my clients is an audio visual rental company that has generators. So whenever theirs a storm the owner drops one off at the house and we stay online pretty much 100%. Until we get that I usually run a few UPSes for the routers and modem. The server closet then gets shutdown if need be til power is restored/we get a generator with enough juice.

Oh and it's nice to have a couple macbooks around, they can charge iPhones even when they're off.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Power came back online at 4:45 AM. Although it seems the damage was pretty severe to the power plant. I'm now no longer there at the moment.

peterw

We suffered from the high tide. Water was standing 3 feets in the second floor for about a week. Everything destroyed that was not transported to the garret. Car and camper gone. 2 feets of mud in each room of the first floor. This was happening in our area every 200 years. And now about every 5 year. Nobody can tell me that their is no global warming and that the weather conditions do not get crazy.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
We're right near a fire station, so when we do lose power it's usually not for too long. The worst I can remember was about four days, and in a New England winter no less! We all slept in one room at night, and with lots of blankets we got by. But that's the worst, power is usually very steady, and when it goes off it's usually back within 24 hours. No special preparation for that time, if you can't survive 24 hours without the Internet, I feel sorry for you.

amuck-landowner