amuck-landowner

Private Network

Steven F

Verified Provider
So, we're about to ship out our first batch of servers and I've still not decided if we're going to be maintaining a dedicated private network. I thought I'd come here and see: is a private network something you would actually use, just a novelty that you might like, or pointless (in your opinion)?

mikeyur

Verified Provider
I use the private network with BuyVM. Between the shared box and VPS, and previously when I had a storage box there for backups.

If you have it, I will use it. Especially if you mix the network between product lines as Awmusic12635 said.

Any hints at specs/pricing with this new product line?

Steven F

Verified Provider
I use the private network with BuyVM. Between the shared box and VPS, and previously when I had a storage box there for backups.

If you have it, I will use it. Especially if you mix the network between product lines as Awmusic12635 said.

Any hints at specs/pricing with this new product line?
We'll be running a pretty nice promotion. I'm not going to post them here, because it's a bit off track. If you'd like, shoot me a PM.

So, you would use it if you had it (the two of you that commented :p), but do most people really need it?

Hxxx

IMO is really important. Having the ability to communicate servers in the internal network is a plus. Otherwise you would have to reach the second server in the public, which cost.. Offers? Shoot in the PM. Nice to see you alive.

We'll be running a pretty nice promotion. I'm not going to post them here, because it's a bit off track. If you'd like, shoot me a PM.

So, you would use it if you had it (the two of you that commented :p), but do most people really need it?

mikeyur

Verified Provider
It's definitely not a requirement for me, but a nice to have. May attract some higher end clientele who require multiple frontend and backend boxes.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
: is a private network something you would actually use, just a novelty that you might like, or pointless (in your opinion)?
It's a novelty among low end providers but it's standard fare at most cloud (the real ones) and dedicated providers and an increasing number of VPS providers. It's necessary in my opinion if you use any type of complex setup and it provides an added layer of security.  Some uses: clusters, database servers, application servers, storage servers, memcached servers, and other backend servers

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
For me it is a must if the provider charges for server to server traffic. Even if this is not the case, an internal network can provide additional security depending on the setup - or just be easier than setting up GRE + IPSec on a public WAN for private communication.

I view it as a must have for serious production deployment where multiple servers are in use (i.e multiple workers, web nodes or whatever). A nice to have for everything else.

Steven F

Verified Provider
Great points raised by everyone! I definitely didn't think about some of those use-cases and will definitely be looking into the private networking much more seriously than I have been!

IMO is really important. Having the ability to communicate servers in the internal network is a plus. Otherwise you would have to reach the second server in the public, which cost.. Offers? Shoot in the PM. Nice to see you alive.
I do enjoy living, I must say! :p

danielm

I like to see it whenever I'm looking for a new dedicated server provider, like others said its not because I really need it, but its nice to have especially if my needs were to change and its needed down the road (ie backing up files to 2nd server, running some kind of cluster, etc.) 

Amfy

Of course it would be free! Could you imagine charging for internal bandwidth? o_O
Honestly yes? Why would I give my network away for free? Just because I have no transit/transport/IX port costs, it doesn't mean I have no costs at all... think of switches, skilled staff 24/7

Nick

Honestly yes? Why would I give my network away for free? Just because I have no transit/transport/IX port costs, it doesn't mean I have no costs at all... think of switches, skilled staff 24/7
Minimal costs of equipment that should already be in place by any provider with their head in the right place. What ongoing, concurrent costs are there?

perennate

Verified Provider
Minimal costs of equipment that should already be in place by any provider with their head in the right place. What ongoing, concurrent costs are there?
So, what if all users use 1gbps across internal network continuously? It doesn't need to be billed since capacity is generally much larger, but there is still obviously limit on the usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

So, what if all users use 1gbps across internal network continuously? It doesn't need to be billed since capacity is generally much larger, but there is still obviously limit on the usage.
Well, shit. If all your users started transferring at 1Gbps you have more issues. Where and why is this data being transferred? Generally speaking, each port on a switch should be able to handle that volume anyway. It's an internal network running a couple of metres through copper wire.

My real question is, where can I get servers that can write at those speeds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven F

Verified Provider
Minimal costs is kind of an understatement, especially if you want to provide 10 Gbps connectivity (or more) between racks.

amuck-landowner