amuck-landowner

Projects for idle VPS?

Nova

I just signed up here and think you can probably give me something to do. I have two cheap annual VPS servers that I am not doing anything with right now because work and family life has me tied down. Is there anything useful or neat I can run on them or use them to contribute to something else? What about running a honeypot or something to catch spammers andbots? Do any organizations have community driven scripts like that? How about a mirror for another project like a linux OS? Any ideas welcome.

Kayaba Akihiko

Most budget hosts won't allow you to run @Home scripts on your vps.

I have the exact same problem - $26USD/Year worth of VPSs idling xD

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Most budget hosts won't allow you to run @Home scripts on your vps.

I have the exact same problem - $26USD/Year worth of VPSs idling xD
It's because those scripts take up too much resources and are more fit for a dedicated server than a VPS.

I just signed up here and think you can probably give me something to do. I have two cheap annual VPS servers that I am not doing anything with right now because work and family life has me tied down. Is there anything useful or neat I can run on them or use them to contribute to something else? What about running a honeypot or something to catch spammers andbots? Do any organizations have community driven scripts like that? How about a mirror for another project like a linux OS? Any ideas welcome.
You could probably run a honeypot or something like that. A mirror is probably more useful if it's permanent.

fm7

IMO a honeypot is useful only if you forward the entrapped IPs for someone that will take some effective (legal) action.

E.g. Spampoison has partnerships with big ISPs.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
IMO a honeypot is useful only if you forward the entrapped IPs for someone that will take some effective (legal) action.

E.g. Spampoison has partnerships with big ISPs.
Not at all... personal honeypots are highly effective for bolstering your own security points as well, even if you never report the intrusions to anyone.

fm7

Not at all... personal honeypots are highly effective for bolstering your own security points as well, even if you never report the intrusions to anyone.
I see no point in risking the node/provider stability, compromising the quality of a service shared by many clients,  trying to fight bad guys with a small VPS.

If you haven't anything to do just press power off and let the other people sharing the infraestructure make better use of the resources. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
You're not risking node/provider stability if you set it up correctly.  The point isn't to just have an easy-compromise container sitting out waiting to be abused, but rather to have a carefully locked down trap that "lets people in" via common compromise points, only to prevent them from taking any actual action with the VM itself.  The goal is essentially a container with minimal resource usage that continuously provides 'bad' IPs and netblocks that you can use for your own firewalls.

fm7

You're not risking node/provider stability if you set it up correctly.  The point isn't to just have an easy-compromise container sitting out waiting to be abused, but rather to have a carefully locked down trap that "lets people in" via common compromise points, only to prevent them from taking any actual action with the VM itself.  The goal is essentially a container with minimal resource usage that continuously provides 'bad' IPs and netblocks that you can use for your own firewalls.
I couldn't agree more but there is a "small" requirement: you must be a seasoned pro to do this thing right. It is not something you should recommend to someone searching a use to an idle VPS because it certainly backfires if not properly done..

Maybe something like https://seattleclearinghouse.poly.edu/html/login could be productive and riskless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I couldn't agree more but there is a "small" requirement: you must be a seasoned pro to do this thing right. It is not something you should recommend to anyone searching a use to an idle VPS because it certainly backfires if not properly done..
I absolutely 100% agree there.

amuck-landowner