amuck-landowner

Promoting Affiliate Links?

Raymii

I've got two affiliate links, one from Digital Ocean and one from Inception Hosting. The Digital Ocean one is going quite well:

57eEBVk.png

The Inception Hosting one attracts a lot of Fraud:

DdOpXGQ.png

Now, I myself hate advertisements. My local DNS server plus Adblockers help a lot, and website's I endorse get either donations or get removed from the ad block list.

Therefore I find it hard to fine a non-intrusive way to promote these links. They're listed on every page of my website: https://raymii.org, however, I'd like to earn some more with them. The Digital Ocean one covers half the cost of raymii.org...

Do others have any tips or ideas on this subject? Or your overall general opinion on sponsored links?

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Generaly, make them less intrusive, like putting a message "try out a digitalocean today" with your aff in it.

The conversion rate is pretty low (0.03% for DO and 0.04% for InceptionHosting), so optimizing link placement + getting more engaged readers should help.

You should also get a better theme/template for your website.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I find that genuine and detailed reviews sell a product better than a banner. Why not right up an honest and detailed review and include the links at the end of the review. And when I say detailed, I mean detailed so as to avoid looking like a paid advertisement, it's also nice to include a bit of history on how you came about the providers and compare them to past experiences.

eva2000

Visitors will only sign up if it's of use to them or if they can visually see it's benefits somewhat. Easiest way is to show them why they should sign i.e. reviews, example usage etc.

• DigitalOcean my sign up rate is 3.63%
  • RamNode my sign up rate is 2.7%
  • Backupsy my sign up rate is 0.31% (only just started so some time to catch up)
  • Wiredtree my sign up rate is 0.613% (longest web host I have been with for my own sites -  this is over 5 1/2 yrs now and best payout rate among any web host I know with commission rate @75% first month's billing :) )
Reviews + example usage FTW and definitely helps if your site actually uses the web host or service !

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymii

I find that genuine and detailed reviews sell a product better than a banner. Why not right up an honest and detailed review and include the links at the end of the review. And when I say detailed, I mean detailed so as to avoid looking like a paid advertisement, it's also nice to include a bit of history on how you came about the providers and compare them to past experiences.

Visitors will only sign up if it's of use to them or if they can visually see it's benefits somewhat. Easiest way is to show them why they should sign i.e. reviews, example usage etc.

• DigitalOcean my sign up rate is 3.63%
  • RamNode my sign up rate is 2.7%
  • Backupsy my sign up rate is 0.31% (only just started so some time to catch up)
  • Wiredtree my sign up rate is 0.613% (longest web host I have been with for my own sites -  this is over 5 1/2 yrs now and best payout rate among any web host I know with commission rate @75% first month's billing :) )
Reviews + example usage FTW and definitely helps if your site actually uses the web host or service !
I've had one article about Digital Ocean: https://raymii.org/s/articles/Digital_Ocean_Sucks._Use_Digital_Ocean.html which is quite populair. Tutorial wise, their own documentation and tutorials are quite good. In most of my applicable articles I do state that something is tested on either a Inception Hosting or Digital Ocean VPS (when I did test it on one there)...

amuck-landowner