amuck-landowner

Quadcopters and other tech toys?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I need to dust off the big quad since it has the gimbal and would be a lot better for aerial photos but had fun today messing around in the field not far from me and flying the mini around.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I won't let this thread die.

I did this earlier on my lunch break. Got a new 1.8mm lense in the mail today for a CCD camera. Put it on my little Sony 700TVL CCD camera on my quadcopter that I use for FPV. I like the results!

Stock wideangle lense:

ZMJZTly.jpg

New fisheye lense:

kpmHQDU.jpg

And yes, that is my bathroom, lol.

I need to cut some of the hotglue from the fresnel lense inserted in the body of these DIY FPV goggles I'm working with.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
These goggles are hilarious. I need to cut all the wires to length and resolder the connections and cut off some of that wire weight. I'm not even going to attempt to mount a battery to this beast and will be alright with keeping it in a shirt or jacket pocket.

Talk about ghetto:

TgVL87S.jpg

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
what the hell is that ^^?
There is a 4.3" screen in the black box, connected to a 5.8Ghz receiver for video feed. My quadcopter has a little Sony CCD camera board like the one shown below that is wired to a transmitter.

This allows me to fly and navigate the quadcopter based on 'what it sees' instead of my direct line of sight. Good for racing and when flying outside of your direct light of sight as well.

%24T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qSZ1BRK-vsmh4g~~60_35.jpg

Previously was streaming the data back to my latop for FPV but there is a bit of a delay when doing so since I was using a USB a/v device.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've had this sonar module for about 4 months now. Since this weekend will be too cold to fly I figure I'll work on cleaning up the wiring on the FPV goggles and getting this wired up and configured.

I like how the module looks like Johny 5....

w3AgoR9.jpgoMOmh9V.jpg

It should be actually quite easy to get setup and configure. Just need to solder some leads from those 4 pins to pre-existing pins on the flight control board. The software I use to tune/configure/tweak settings on that board is already pre-configured to accept sonar modules so it should (hopefully) be pretty straight forward.

This will be used to assist with collision avoidance with... the ground. :)

Unsure how fast/responsive it will be but I'm hoping that when doing low proximity flying this will assist maintaining some minimal distance from the ground and want to do some tests where hills/slopes are invovled.

I've seen tests where this same module was used to have a quad 'climb stairs' without additional throttle input from the operator to make it increase it's height. It just detects the distance from the ground and automatically adjusts motor speed to maintain a set distance.

yomero

I didn't know this thread existed. Sounds like really funny stuff.

I am not good doing this kind of things, but I wonder if I can get some of this pieces at Mexico to build something like that :p

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I didn't know this thread existed. Sounds like really funny stuff.

I am not good doing this kind of things, but I wonder if I can get some of this pieces at Mexico to build something like that :p
I'm sure you can find a little mini quadcopter toy that is basic to get you started. If you have fun with that then you can certainly build your own. I'm surprised by how simple it is and how large of an RC community exists for such a thing. It's a lot of fun and will teach you some new skills. I know a little bit about electricity and how to solder now, for example. Those are things I did not know before. Now I'm interested in radio frequencies and would even like to get  into Amateur/HAM Radio. :)

If I can do it, anyone can. Tons to learn, but you don't need to know it all to get off the ground.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
iM6VeX5.jpg

Happy with this one.

Also flew through a lot of trees today. Broke a lot of props but pushed myself. Went under some benches too :)

ngPNUw7.jpg

cXZP4ZM.jpg

bdlcb7j.jpg

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Took my little quadcopter out for some night flying with a mate who just got a new quadcopter (one of many). There was a bit of wind later in the night (there was a few trips between home to charge and to the near by park) and I managed to get picked up by the wind (TBH I was up a bit too high for the conditions and descending rapidly and moving sideways trying to avoid the road) and stuck reasonably high in a tree.

Got it down in true engineering fashion (and, with a fair bit of swearing).

The photos are a but poor, Nexus 5 has a pretty poor camera in low light.

11063755_10208252795865413_9020716284598675861_o.jpg

12113337_10208252801505554_82462041370439481_o.jpg

My review for this drone should really be the battery lasts a long time idle, i.e when stuck in a tree.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Did you buy a completed quadcopter or build one? If completed, what did you buy?

I've not flown in forever. I'd still like to build an octo-copter... They're much more reliable in high winds.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I bought a Syma X5C, a cheap chinese unit.

16_53_06.png

I might get something more serious one day, but for now this is quite fun enough.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
I am really wanting to build a Quadcopter now for some reason. 

Don't know where I would fly it though since I moved to Alabama.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
dIy8NYr.jpg

Was wondering why I couldn't get FPV to work. Looks like a wire broke and shorted on my carbon frame that leads to the transmitter. Uhg. These are tiny little wires with virtually no slack and soldering them are a PITA.

Getting my stuff charged up though now so I can get a flight in later.

amuck-landowner