amuck-landowner

Quiting smoking.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Glad you're quitting. Great choice. I work at a local computer repair shop and the smokers' computers small disgusting and have a layer of slime over everything internally and externally in addition to being obviously discolored. If it does that inside your computer think about inside your lungs!

nunim

VPS Junkie
I'm on Day 3....I've found that, aside from right when I wake up in the morning and have my coffee, the day time isn't too bad. It's not until  night time when my cravings kick in and I lay awake thinking about the 24 hour gas station that's 1.5 blocks away.

javaj

I think the FDA has been trying to take control of e-cig regulations in the US, but I don't think that's happened yet.I also think they are much healthier but nobody really knows yet.

If you know anyone who wants to buy e-cigs cheap order directly from a wholesaler in china, that's what I do, they are much cheaper than ordering in the UK or US. not sure if its appropriate to post a link but just google "healthcabin" I've always had really good luck with them and they carry brand name stuff cheap, much cheaper than domestic suppliers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruchirablog

I should try buying my dad an E-Cig. He smokes about pack a day and he is 60 now. He told us that he started smoking at the age of 15  :unsure:  He is healthy for now but I guess the damage is already done.  

But I doubt if he ever switch to E-cig because he doesn't smoke any brand except this one  -_-

John_Player_GOLD_LEAF_4_by_fahap.jpg

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Update: Still haven't smoked.

However the past day or two I've been an irritable asshole. I've wanted to toss my PC into the street multiple times and break a laptop over my knee. If I had a lot of spare dishes I'd probably have broken some, just for the stress relief.

My sleep was interrupted this morning by someone wanting to talk about Jesus. I didn't answer the door, but they left a pamplet. After that, couldn't go back to sleep. A few hours later, was dead tired again and crashed. I had the most vivid and lucid, depressing dream. I even woke up once or twice, fell back asleep, and re-entered it. Weird shit. (Wasn't a nightmare, I never have them. Just a... sad dream)

Hungry, then I eat, then tired. Then I nap/sleep. Then I wake up hungry. Rinse and repeat.

I've quit in the past for a month or two, so this is about the time (one to two weeks in) that shit starts getting rough and 'withdrawal' is noticeable.

Wow, I never realized there were so many vapers and friends-of-vapers here. Great to see.

Although I hope your going cold turkey succeeds, if it doesn't, I'd also recommend trying ecigs at some point to steer off almost guaranteed health problems. There's actually a crap ton of different devices out there, and most are more powerful than the pinky-sized ones on TV and magazines (those things are mostly for newbies that need something cigarette-sized to hold).

Just a few things to note:

1. Switching to vaping takes work, too. A lot of people, including myself, have gone through tobacco withdrawal symptoms despite initially doubling nicotine intake compared to cigarettes. The cause for that is generally attributed to the additives in cigarettes that make smoking much more addictive than nicotine alone. The sickly taste and smell that you're addicted to can't really be duplicated yet, either. So you have to settle for much cleaner tastes.

2. However, inhaling dozens of burned toxins long known to kill you vs. inhaling one known toxin and a few generally benign chemicals... The odds for this gamble are easy to see. (Feel free to pick my brains on safety issues -- I can't guarantee safety but I could give details on why the odds factually and logically favor the ecigs.)

3. Did I mention the lifestyle improvement? Nothing beats going back in time to an era where you can enjoy inhaling and exhaling stuff indoors, while on the computer, with much milder smells, at work (if you work with good people), in a car with the windows still closed, and without killing your friends/family/coworkers. In fact, I'm vaping on and off as I type this while the wife and baby are asleep in the other room, in peace. If I was still smoking, I'd be outside getting a mosquito bite each minute, then coming back in to hear some blah-blahs about bringing carcinogenic remnants into the house and how I'd be hurting the child if I don't change my clothes, brush my teeth, and wash my hands twice after every smoke.  :)

Two years into steady vaping now after a two-month attempt in 2009 that failed due to super shitty hardware, I'm at a point where vaping nothing but glycerin for days is fine, but it gets boring. A touch of nicotine and food flavoring still makes things a lot better.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
My sleep was interrupted this morning by someone wanting to talk about Jesus. I didn't answer the door, but they left a pamplet. After that, couldn't go back to sleep. A few hours later, was dead tired again and crashed. I had the most vivid and lucid, depressing dream. I even woke up once or twice, fell back asleep, and re-entered it. Weird shit. (Wasn't a nightmare, I never have them. Just a... sad dream)
Leave a posted sign that on your front door that say:

DO NOT INTERRUPT. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.

With small text that says, "any violators subject to lead poisoning".

nunim

VPS Junkie
Well, my "accountabili-buddy" wasn't around watching me, so now I'm back to day 1...  The worst part is the cig wasn't even that enjoyable, after not smoking for a few days I was expecting something much more =/  Relapses are always disappointing. 

NodeKid

Coincidentally I ceased poisoning myself on the 4th too; picked up some seasonal lurgy and just figured enough was enough. I've been puffing my way to a painful, early death for 23 years.

Also leaving the booze alone which is always a smoking danger zone for me.

Still hacking up alien slime though… yummy!

Edit: oh yeah, cold turkey; tried patches/gum/chantix before which all made me worse.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I quit 20-odd years ago.  Still crave a cig periodically.  Used to smoke a pipe as well and inhaled with that - had a tobacconist who stocked a custom blend for me.  Cigarettes are really the McDonald's of tobacco in comparison.  But I quit it all.

E-cigs, vaping, blah blah - just quit.  Putting nicotine in your system is not a good idea.  BTW, as of January 1, 2014, the last nicotine-based insecticide will be removed from the US market.

I've given up all my vices except caffeine...I expect that one will be with me until I die.  An afternoon without coffee means a headache, and after a couple days it feels like the flu.

shovenose

Verified Provider
I quit 20-odd years ago.  Still crave a cig periodically.  Used to smoke a pipe as well and inhaled with that - had a tobacconist who stocked a custom blend for me.  Cigarettes are really the McDonald's of tobacco in comparison.  But I quit it all.

E-cigs, vaping, blah blah - just quit.  Putting nicotine in your system is not a good idea.  BTW, as of January 1, 2014, the last nicotine-based insecticide will be removed from the US market.

I've given up all my vices except caffeine...I expect that one will be with me until I die.  An afternoon without coffee means a headache, and after a couple days it feels like the flu.
I think I like coffee way too much these days. 

bizzard

Btw, when did you guys got started with this? I am 24 and hasn't smoked a cigar or anything of that kind yet. May be that can be called determination :p

Danthe

I'm on my second day without a cigarette right now. I switched to vaping and it is going well.

I bought all my vape gear when I still had 11 cigarettes left in my pack yesterday, after vaping for a few hours, I flushed the rest of the pack of cigarettes down the toilet. I find that whenever I'm crazing a cigarette, I just take a few puffs on my vape and the cravings go away.

I'm currently using a single setting 1100mAh battery with an Evod tank. There's a local vape shop near me that makes their own e-liquid and has over 110 flavors. The owner of the shop claims that all of his ingrediants are domestic (not imported from China or any other country for that matter), so hopefully I can trust whatever is going into the e-liquid!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Btw, when did you guys got started with this? I am 24 and hasn't smoked a cigar or anything of that kind yet. May be that can be called determination :p
I was 20, I believe. I'd roll my own on the occasion, and was living out west in the desert at the time. The first time I had to drive from Nevada to New Mexico, I, for whatever reason, bought a pack of Camels. I didn't roll any smokes for the trip and driving stresses me out. Once I got to New Mexico I met up with a buddy from Indiana who was to come stay out there. He smoked. I had lived alone in the desert for a couple months before he came out, so it was nice stepping out on the back porch and having a smoke and catching up.

EDIT: Tomorrow will be 2 weeks!

NodeKid

I had my first when I was 10 but didn't start regularly until I was 15. I'm 38.

I'm not even 'determined to quit' this time I'm just sick of smoking (thankfully not seriously sick yet). I'm done with it. I've found it pretty easy this time* since I actually don't want to smoke. A lot different from trying to force the issue as a lot of it is psychological rather than physical.

Some inspirational—although somewhat harrowing—videos.

*yes, I've stopped before; I didn't want to though.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I'm back on Day 2!  I'm using the patches this time and it's helping, I still want to smoke but at least I'm not going through nicotine withdrawals at the same time.  I figure once I get out of the habit of smoking, which will take 2-4 weeks at minimum, I can stop using them and go through the nicotine withdrawal.  

I started when I was 18, ironically never smoked and hated cigs before then, I was working at a Quiznos and it was very very slow, the person I worked with smoked.  He'd always go out for smoke breaks, and eventually I got tired of sitting in there alone and picked up the habit. That wasn't the only reason I started smoking but that's what got me going initially. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Been two weeks for me.

Went to the shooting range today with my step-father who smokes like a chimney and never wanted one. In fact, hated the smell and didn't like being in the truck with him when he was smoking (even with the window cracked).

amuck-landowner