amuck-landowner

Race to the Bottom News: 2GB RAM, 2IPs for $1.67 monthly

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
adrian:

Terrible provider.. they should be banned from lowendtalk.

The offer should be written as US$60 for 3months.. because thats about the longest their oversold crap lasts

December 2, 2013 @ 9:52 am | Reply

Erawan Arif Nugroho:

Do you know who own LEB/LET?

December 2, 2013 @ 10:01 am | Reply
'nuff said.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
I'm sure it will perform fine at first.   Most people don't actually use their VPS for the first few weeks anyways, unless they migrate over an active web site right away which is a small percentage.

2GB of RAM is one thing, but they don't say how much CPU.  Considering $1.67/month and the standard E3 with RAID costing ~$150 (with profit) then are we to assume that you'll only have 1/23 of a processor guaranteed to you?  Because good luck using 2GB of RAM if you are sharing a processor with 23 other users.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
I should add, this could be a way for CVPS to cook their books in an attempt to get investments but will be an utter failure in a long term business plan.

If their bank (or investors) are only looking for cash-basis accounting statements, then receiving these $60 prepayments at the end of the year will make their company look extra profitable.  However, if the banks were smart and asking for accrual statements then I'm assuming their books would look downright ugly.

For those not familiar with accounting terms, cash basis means recording revenue when you receive it, accrual basis means recording revenue when you earn it.  The difference would be them recording $60 right now for cash basis and only $1.67 per month for accrual basis.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I'm sure it will perform fine at first.   Most people don't actually use their VPS for the first few weeks anyways, unless they migrate over an active web site right away which is a small percentage.

2GB of RAM is one thing, but they don't say how much CPU.  Considering $1.67/month and the standard E3 with RAID costing ~$150 (with profit) then are we to assume that you'll only have 1/23 of a processor guaranteed to you?  Because good luck using 2GB of RAM if you are sharing a processor with 23 other users.
23 users?  You're vastly underestimating the overselling that goes on with many low end OpenVZ providers.  When ChicagoVPS's database was hacked and posted on the Internet in June it was revealed that they regularly sell 200GB-300GB worth of RAM per 32GB E3 node.

Talk to me when your 32GB RAM KVM VPS with 10000 dedicated 1000GHz cores, 1000TB SSD disk and unlimited bandwidth 1000gbps port offer is cheaper than domain registration for ".tk".

Today's gold is tomorrow's shit in serverland, and that is one of the reasons I wouldn't make a 3 year commit to a package with a fixed amount of resources from any provider.  The other reason I wouldn't make a 3 year comitment is I can't estimate what my needs will be in year 2 or year 3.

Go ahead tell me this is some record setting year and everything is wonderful.

Offers like this rarely mean everything is wonderful.  It usually means a company is having trouble meeting its short term cash flow needs, operating expenses.  That was my first though when I saw this offer, and it was my first thought when I saw WeLoveServers CyberMonday deal today.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Or you can just go with eduvps which offers free vpses with decent hardware :D
But their setup is for learning isn't it? It isn't supposed to be treated as 'a VPS provider because im too cheap'.

I've seen some of the horror stories those guys post of all the little shits running BTC miners and such.

Francisco

nunim

VPS Junkie
3 Year terms aren't uncommon in the shared hosting world, can't say I've ever seen it on for a VPS though.  I used ChicagoVPS once when they had the 512/$2 "Birthday" deal, what a mistake... The VPS was crap and I got to have my personal information leaked :)

professionalxen

But their setup is for learning isn't it? It isn't supposed to be treated as 'a VPS provider because im too cheap'.

I've seen some of the horror stories those guys post of all the little shits running BTC miners and such.

Francisco
Yes, i agree with you on this one.

However, they've done many improvements and there is very little amount of abusers left.

But in all honesty,a VPS from them should be good for some minor hosting people are running.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 I used ChicagoVPS once when they had the 512/$2 "Birthday" deal, what a mistake... The VPS was crap and I got to have my personal information leaked  :)
Yeppers... CVPS has leaked at least twice, officially.  No cleanup, no government declaration of the snafu, nada.

Surely, CVPS would argue that nothing of importance was leaked thus no reason to report the break-in, twice.  I disagree.

One of these days, someone is going to take proper legal actions, until then the circus continues.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
3 Year terms aren't uncommon in the shared hosting world, can't say I've ever seen it on for a VPS though.  I used ChicagoVPS once when they had the 512/$2 "Birthday" deal, what a mistake... The VPS was crap and I got to have my personal information leaked :)
True but normally those are hostgator unlimited everything plans.

Really, you can't offer more than unlimited can you? :D

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Yes, i agree with you on this one.

However, they've done many improvements and there is very little amount of abusers left.

But in all honesty,a VPS from them should be good for some minor hosting people are running.
Which is good but still.

Hats off to Incero for supporting them.

Francisco

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Yeppers... CVPS has leaked at least twice, officially.  No cleanup, no government declaration of the snafu, nada.

Surely, CVPS would argue that nothing of importance was leaked thus no reason to report the break-in, twice.  I disagree.

One of these days, someone is going to take proper legal actions, until then the circus continues.
They've been hacked 3 times in the past year: SolusVM 11/12 and 6/13, and WHMCS in October (they claimed that the hacker in Oct. was "only" able to download 3% of their customers data).  They accept credit cards directly and store the info so the WHMCS breach should have been treated much more seriously than it was, i.e. they should have followed proper notification procedures and notified state agencies and their merchant account provider.

Chris is posting his usual "it's all Solus'' fault, none of it was our fault" BS on their offer today.  If you put a script with a history of security problems into production on your site without understanding the code that you're putting on your site then you share part of the blame if your site is hacked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erawan

Did anyone managed to get the CVPS leaked database? Some of them still running, and using the same root password

amuck-landowner