Rackspace being sold to Apollo Global for 4.3 billion dollars

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HalfEatenPie, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HalfEatenPie

HalfEatenPie The Irrational One Retired Staff

Mar 25, 2013
    HalfEatenPie
    Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/apollo-is-buying-rackspace-in-a-43-billion-deal-2016-8

More at the source.

Comments?  Thoughts?

2. webhostuk

webhostuk New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Its my personal opinion, If cloud computing is a Boom I don't understand why the company was facing loss... and had to decide on selling the company. Why such a old and huge brand could not sustain the market pressure is the big question?

3. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    It wasn't facing a loss.  The company is very profitable and profits have been steadily rising, and analysts are forecasting an acceleration in growth rates:

Net income: 2013/$85 million, 2014/$107 million, 2015/$122 million.  Net income in Q2 2016 rose 28% from Q2 2015.

Revenues: 2013/$1.53 billion, 2014/$1.79 billion, 2015/$2.00 billion

Past 5 years growth: 10.9% annually, Forecast next 5 years: 16.9% annually 

Short answer #1:  they're small compared to the two industry leaders AWS and Azure which also benefit from having very deep pocketed corporate parents.  Selling to Apollo will give them a parent who has money to invest in the business, and going private will let them focus more on the long term (as opposed to the next quarterly earnings release).

Short answer #2: they're a publicly traded company and so the #1 goal is increasing shareholder value.  Selling at a 38% premium is a nice pay day for shareholders.

It's about time.  Sale rumors have been swirling for the past few years, although I thought IBM would buy them.

I do think their focus on managed cloud services (and their recent divestiture of commodity businesses like Jungle Disk backup storage and Cloud Sites web hosting) puts them in a better position for future growth than cloud companies like DigitalOcean that are focused on the commodity IaaS side of the cloud biz.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
    HalfEatenPie likes this.
  4. Hxxx

Hxxx Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    What happened to our conspiracy theorist  @drmike ? Dude still alive?

5. Vovaze

Vovaze New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I think company is facing loss but still $4.3 billion is a huge amount.