amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi Console

wlanboy

Content Contributer
The Raspberry Pi Console can be found here:

http://www.openelectrons.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=49

Original Kickstarter campain:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1842571016/piconsole-anywhere-console-for-raspberry-pi

PiConsole.jpg

Why PiConsole?

We wanted to use RPi on the Go.  And we needed console access while outdoors. Hence we designed this remarkable console adapter to meet the needs of peer users with PC, Android and iPhone.
How does it work?

PiConsole is a USB or Bluetooth serial console adapter for Raspberry Pi. You can view all your console messages, enter commands and  login/logout  on your Raspberry Pi  from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone or Tablet.

There is absolutely no need to change any software settings nor any need to tinker with hardware on your Pi. Using PiConsole is as simple as just plug in and start using it.
There are three models:

• USB only
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + USB and
  • Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) + USB
Nice tool for your Raspberry Pi.

pcan

The USB only model does not make sense. I use the FTDI cable sold by RS components with sku# 767-6200 to connect the RPi RS232 console to the PC USB port. It is also comes handy to reflash many consumer routers.

The Bluetooth feature is nice, thanks for sharing this news.

By the way, I am currently beta testing the HiFiBerry AMP, and it looks good (but a bit expensive). 

Last edited by a moderator:

pcan

I ordered the B+ on RS Components the same day of the official release and I received the board the next day. It is a welcome evolution for anyone using the Raspbian distribution. Unfortunately, they changed the USB/LAN chip and most pre-made SD images aren't working anymore. For example, the only working Raspberry Pi Thin Client image (RPiTC) is the RDP hard-float release; the soft-float release with Citrix receiver does not work on B+.

Due to compatibility issues, I was ultimately forced to buy a further RPi B last week to test the HiFiBerry AMP. I am still waiting for the B+ enclousure; it should ship next week.

On the work side, I have deployed a few RPi B as datalogger with the USB sensors sold by yoctopuce.com. They have a very good software support. The latest datalogger is measuring the current output of a step down 20KV -> 230V transformer with 1.1 MVA nominal power. The kind of transformer that is housed in a small dedicated building, for safety reasons. It is almost impossible to use the phone in that building because the magnetic field is so strong that the phone loudspeaker will hum. The RPi is inside the low voltage instrumentation rack and is working flawlessly.

amuck-landowner