amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi Giveaway Promotion Help

Raymii

I'm good at sysadmin stuff, quite well at programming but not good at design or promotion. As you might know, I give away Raspberry Pi's: https://raymii.org/s/static/Free_Raspberry_Pi.html

Now I need to keep users coming. The first month went well, but I want to keep up the hype/traction. I've created a special landing page: https://raymii.org/s/inc/rpi/ - which will hopefully will be easier to promote then the standard website page.

I'd like some marketing/promotion tips, specially on how to get more views and have the visitors returning (every month).

fixidixi

For one:

you should make it localizable to other languages :) I'd be happy to translate it to hungarian for instance :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The always modest Raymii :)  Rare feats in today's world ray.  Humble.

Let's start with returning viewers or attempting to get folks returning.  Time is valuable and everyone is frazzled.  So providing clear and multiple ways to get people stuck to viewing some of your content outside of your website is key.  RSS + Twitter + Facebook + ????.  Doing all of those?

Second, everyone loves free stuff.  So open up a giveaway for viewers that sign up / vote / etc.  Easiest thing is an outright signup when they follow you (Twitter or Facebook) or sign up for mailing list (do you have one?).   Maybe you give away as Raspberry Pi or something open source or something self-branded...

Third, I'd consider bringing the voting and content in-house -- within your own site.  The voting site is meh and you probably could do better than what is there and turn that into content under your domain instead of driving users and traffic elsewhere.  Me I'd like to see these projects and some of them long term as they develop, even the ones that don't win.  Idea is to encourage people to try and get doing.

Finally, maintaining the level and hype of month one is going to require plenty of outreach and awareness.  Seemed like you received coverage on big RPI community as a feature.   So you have to expand to related communities and get some coverage.  This really should be doable a few months out where giveaway folks start delivering real code/proofs of concept/etc.    But for now, make a list of DIY sites and other like minded communities/websites you think should feature your project and get to building bridges and outreach.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Whoever posted this idea is on to something if it's designed as a pocket-sized small-business server

Cheap Intra/extranet
My idea is a cheap hardware and software optimalized intranet system for:

Initial package:
- (QR and barcode based storage) Storage Engine
- Export / import management
- accounting
- Consignment inventory
- Payment management

Later, DLC packacges. I have lot of idea.

fixidixi

@texteditor:

well to be honest I think it would be nice to such thing as a proof of concept but accounting on a pi is.. well brave to say the least :)

BuyCPanel-Kevin

Verified Provider
You should probably look into posting on the forums on the physical raspberry PI page. Find people with good ideas and post what you are offering. (By the way, I think what you are doing here is awesome!)

amuck-landowner