amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi owners?

GaleDribble

Hi there... I'm thinking of getting a RaspberryPi but am having trouble thinking of what to actually use it for. What are you using yours for?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have two Pi's and don't really use them these days.

Good for those into GPIO / electronics addons.

As a small form factor general purpose machine, they are underwhelming and costs stack up by time all built and done.   Can get something peppier, multi-core, more RAM, etc. instead.

I've been spending more times with my PogoPlugs (rooted and Debian or Arch installed instead).  Cheaper and more robust (SATA, USB3, Gbit).  They are slacky too but Pogos had been like < $10 delivered. So hard to complain.

trewq

Verified Provider
I have two. I use as a plex client and the other is just sitting on my desk not being used.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I've been spending more times with my PogoPlugs (rooted and Debian or Arch installed instead).  Cheaper and more robust (SATA, USB3, Gbit).  They are slacky too but Pogos had been like < $10 delivered. So hard to complain.
I have one of those and keep meaning to get around to root & play with it.  Do you have a link to a howto?

I had an idea to make a portable ipod classic with my raspberry pi...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=91042

...but I suspect battery life would be horrible.

It's sitting about a foot from me and I'm not using it much at the moment.  I've been playing more with my Beaglebone Black, which is a similar device but better documented (and runs OpenBSD).  In truth though...I'm just playing with it.

I love all these little form factor boxes but their hardware limitations ultimately make them toys.  Unfortunately, there's no battery so portability is severely impaired.  There was a nice kit where you could hook up a lithium battery, touchscreen, etc. to the BBB but it was about $400...

I used to run a Soekris as a home firewall and it was awesome...I regret selling it and should get another one.  But that had 4 NICs.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I've got an RPi at home that I use for network monitoring and home surveillance (mainly it's just a dumb IP camera and my NAS does all the thinking).

I've also got an RPi that I'm renting from FitVPS that I primarily use for personal testing and development as well as an L2TP VPN for when I need to test things from outside of the US.

I don't plan on getting anymore RPis but I have a long list of embedded solutions that I plan to get and play around with (MinnowBoard, Beaglebone Black, Banana Pi, and HummingBoard are the ones I can think of off the top of my head).

Last edited by a moderator:

JahAGR

I got a Banana Pi. It is neat. SATA port won me over I think.

Planned to go into a car PC project, but until I get the other parts of that figured out it's serving as an rtl_tcp spectrum server.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I did some projects with my Raspberry Pi:

It might not be the fastest cpu and you might not run a RAID-10 with it but it has network and USB to connect your electronic stuff to your scripts and the internet.

My setup is:

Electronic stuff <-Wire-> Arduino <-USB-> Raspberry Pi <-WLAN-> Router <-VPN-> VPS

So I can control all of my stuff at home through a simple webpage.

Raspberry Pi is running Debian and a lot of Ruby scripts and a lighttpd server with some php scripts.

There is still a lot of free RAM left for additional scripts.

Mine is collecting dust at the moment, but in past it was used to test a custom WebKit-based browser we were developing. After making it run we were concerned with profiling and improving its performance, and the pi was a great prototyping platform :)

bizzard

Have two, only one in use at the moment. At home, connected to a 512Kbps connection, and an 80GB old IDE HDD. Using to download torrents and other stuffs, so that I can watch them when I am back at home. Also runs a looking glass and few other test scripts.

Mid

mine is also collecting dust, bought it to use like a low end desktop. It might seem like a low cost one, but the addons really add up the cost (5v 2amp adapter, hdmi supported display or a hdmi-vga convertor, powered usb hub, etc) and you have to be vigilant on buying those as there are many fakes out there. 

fixidixi

Hey there,

I've got a pi running:

• openvpn (client mode)
  • cups (print@home without having my printer directly on the internet)
  • a sixxs tunnel to provide ipv6 @home as isp is still lame..
  • nginx+php-fpm: poweradmin
  • powerdns: 
  1. local caching ns
  2. serving zones available only over the lan / vpn
  3. its also a master for zones served by another pdns instance on the net: so i can edit the zones via poweradmin and the changes propagate in notime :), also this way i dont need php,nginx etc on the other box
  4. serving static files: it's sometimtes handy to log in, start a download via aria2, then head home and be happy to realize the 6G file is already on the lan (I dont have a nas or home server etc.)

fixidixi

(cant edit)

well an advice: I think if you can afford it you should look for other boxes as the cpu rpi has is quite old now. there are others out there with better cost/value :)

Kephael

Raspberry pis are toys, I was given one and I may use it for a digital systems class I need to take. I've deployed about ten of them for use as controllers for crypto mining setups.

pcan

A quick recap of the Raspberry Pi's I've put to good use at home or work:

- 1 RDP thin client, connected to a 23'' monitor. I use it all the day.

- 1 digital signage: it drives a LCD TV that shows some statistics and greetings in the company lobby. It is basically a web browser.

- 5 environement monitors for network racks, with dual external temperature probe. I also use them as TFTP servers for device firmware (IP phones, etc) and iperf benchmarks (to test network quality). They repaid themselves 100 times over the day I averted the meltdown of a expensive piece of equipment that was inside one of the racks, while the supposedly redundant cooling failed.

- 3 dataloggers for MT transformers (they record on a mysql database the current and voltage on the 380V side - the transformers are about 1 MW each). I use external USB sensors.

- 1 audio streaming device, with the Volumio application.

For reliable 24/7 use, a good power supply (with thick USB cable) and a good SDcard are vital.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Which model of the Pogo do you have?  Docs vary for them.  Will pluck one that is right.

Thanks!  There was some deal I saw on LET...got it for $6.71 from Amazon.

pogo2.JPG

pogo1.JPG

amuck-landowner