amuck-landowner

Recommendations for knowledge base software

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I'm looking for some software to set up a knowledge base and wondered what options might be out there.  Ideally looking for a free or low cost self hosted solution.  Ease of use takes priority over features.  Really looking for peoples opinions on software they have used personally. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Most billing software comes with KB access last I remembered. 

I know many people here use WHMCS's built-in Knowledgebase system. 

For others they use Wikis (usually DokuWiki is a pretty commonly used script).  

Hope this sets you in the right direction :) 

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Wikis are a good way to start, make sure you write good instructive topics and that the content is searchable.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Thanks, we've tested out a few different products now and will likely be moving forward with phpmyfaq.

Seems to have a long history (since 2004) and a reasonable security record.

InertiaNetworks-John

Inertia Networks, LLC
Verified Provider
Thanks, we've tested out a few different products now and will likely be moving forward with phpmyfaq.

Seems to have a long history (since 2004) and a reasonable security record.
We are also planning on using phpmyfaq in 2014, so good choice.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Wikis are a nice choice but if you're not familiar with wiki syntax it can be annoying.  I've actually used a WordPress plugin that works really well and is extremely easy to use/setup.

mikho

Wikis are a nice choice but if you're not familiar with wiki syntax it can be annoying. I've actually used a WordPress plugin that works really well and is extremely easy to use/setup.
What plugin have you used?

mikho

I've tried that one once, wasn't exactly what I wanted at that time but added a bookmark on that plugin for future reference.

amuck-landowner